Load XML object

Load XML object

JamesDJamesD Posts: 2Questions: 1Answers: 0
edited February 2016 in Free community support

Hi everyone, Im very newbie with jQuery, AJAX and I am trying to figure out how to load an XML object into a datatable.

I want to parse two news feeds from popular websites and then pass some of the information into the table. I am using a for loop to loop inside the feeds and then I have an XML object from which I would like to gather the information from. Here is what I have tried so far by searching on the forum:
```

$.ajax(feed[i], {
    accepts:{
        xml:"application/rss+xml"
    },
    dataType:"xml",
    success:function(data) {

$(document).ready(function() {

$('#example').DataTable( {
            "ajax": {
             "dataType": "xml",
            "url": feed[i],
           "dataSrc" : function() {

}
          },
             retrieve: true,
            columns: [
                { title: "some_info" },
                { title: "some_info" }
    ]
} );

} );
} );
```
Where feed is my array with the feeds and "data" is the xml object which I am trying to convert it into an acceptable type in order for the datatable to read it.
Thank you

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 63,205Questions: 1Answers: 10,415 Site admin

What does JSON.stringify(xmlToJson(data)); create? Can you show a dump of that array?

Allan

• JamesDJamesD Posts: 2Questions: 1Answers: 0
    edited February 2016

Thanks for your answer Allan, actually it doesnt do anything because "xmlToJson" obviously gets undefined. I shouldnt include it,sorry. I have now edited it and deleted it.

• allanallan Posts: 63,205Questions: 1Answers: 10,415 Site admin

It should be that the first parameter passed into the ajax.dataSrc option is the XML document as retrieved by $.ajax(). You would then need to use some Javascript to convert that XML into an array of arrays or arrays of objects depending on how you want to use DataTables.

Allan

This discussion has been closed.