customize sInfo message ?

customize sInfo message ?

nishant09nishant09 Posts: 2Questions: 1Answers: 0

Hi,
I'm new to datatable. Can I customize sInfo:""Showing START to END of TOTAL entries" string to something like below

sInfo: myFunction

myFunction() {
return "Showing n messages of queue myQueue"
}

I completely want to cutomize and use my own message/string

Can I do that ?

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,880Questions: 1Answers: 10,139 Site admin
    Answer ✓

Hi,

If you have a look at the language.info documentation you'll see that it doesn't accept a function.

However, you can use infoCallback to provide a function that has complete control over the information string.

Allan

• nishant09nishant09 Posts: 2Questions: 1Answers: 0

Thanks Allan. It helped to find the correct solution. I had to use footerCallback instead since the custom function had to call another function(back-end) and wait for the return value to customize and update the message.(Moreover,infoCallback accept string value only)

So in the footerCallback function, I update the html element to show my own info message.
    {
    "sInfo: " ",
    "bInfo": true,
    "footerCallback": getFooterInfo
    }

function getFooterInfo {
    $("#storageTable_info").html("Showing " + total + " messages of " + approximateMessageCount + " messages in queue");
    }
    However, I still have one small issue with this approach. When the table gets loaded it takes a few milliseconds to update the html element(call the back-end function and wait for the return value). In the meantime, I'm seeing the "Showing 5 to 5 of 5 entries" message in my info bar. which I want to hide/not display. That's a bad user experience.

Do you have input on this ?

• allanallan Posts: 61,880Questions: 1Answers: 10,139 Site admin

Use the language.info option and set it to be an empty string. That should mean that you don't get the DataTables default message shown on initialisation.

Regards,
    Allan

This discussion has been closed.