DataTables slowed

DataTables slowed

eladnovaeladnova Posts: 12Questions: 3Answers: 1

Hi guys / Alan

I have an app and the main component is DataTables.

Since our purchase on 13 Aug 2013, we now have 30,000 datatable rows paginated into pages of 50 at a time.

Recently our client noticed and big slow down in the web app performance and has asked us to investigate.

I'm pretty confident that actually, DT isn't the speed issue. IE it is more likely a server change or infrastructure issue.

However, as I am evaluating everything, I wanted to ask.

1. Is there a point where my might reasonably expect a slow down of DataTables performance. As mentioned, we've hit 30,000 entries.

2. As we've not upgraded DT version since initial purchase on 13 Aug 2013, we're clearly running an older version. I notice version 1.10.11 is the latest and wondered if there were any speed improvements on this over what we might be running.
    I can't find an actual version number on our current DT.

Many thanks
P

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,665Questions: 1Answers: 10,096 Site admin

Hi,

You might be interested in the speed FAQ. As noted there, around 50'000 rows is where I would suggest you need to start using server-side processing. 30k rows in in that range. Consider for example how much data each row contains in your JSON structure - the browser needs to download and process that, so you can start to see slow downs.

I would suggest using the browser's developer tools to see: 1. How long it takes the server to respond with data, 2. how long it takes to download.

There are speed improvements in the latest versions, but nothing that is going to fundamentally resolve the fact that it takes a finite amount of time to load data to the browser and then process it. As above two data points are where I would start.

Allan

This discussion has been closed.