How do I get a JSON object named aaData

How do I get a JSON object named aaData

mcubedmcubed Posts: 5Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited January 2011 in General
First off let me say I am a newbie when it comes to JQuery and to JSON. I am trying to display the results of a custom built web service call in a table. I don't want to display all of the columns only a subset of them in the end but right now I would be happy displaying them all.

Anyway I followed the documentation as best I could and I am still lost. The AJAX example says " DataTables expects an object with an array called "aaData" with the data source." How do I do that? The web service I hit returns the JSON string (Below) but it is not called aaData. How do I force it to be or force DataTables to use my string instead of looking for one called aaData?

The error I am getting (in both FF and IE) is:

Here is the code I am using to initilize the table:

[code]$(document).ready(function() {
var oTable = $('#example').dataTable( {
"bProcessing": true,
"sAjaxSource": '%%GLOBAL_ShopPath%%/templates/default/cineupload.php'
} );
} );[/code]

Here is a subset of the json:

[code]{"ReturnCode":1,"Results":"[{\"ContentID\":1,\"CustomerID\":1,\"Source\":\"C:\\\\TEMP\\\\Sample.mov\",\"Status\":\"SUBMITTED\",\"FrameRate\":0,\"Frames\":0,\"Sec\":0,\"FrameDelay\":0,\"Lossy\":0,\"Color\":0,\"Width\":0,\"Height\":0,\"ExtendedCompression\":0,\"Compression\":0,\"Results\":\"Updated on... 1/4/2011 7:13:42 PM\"},{\"ContentID\":2,\"CustomerID\":1,\"Source\":\"c:\\\\uploader\\\\Leeza_M-cubed Designs\\\\Bike2.mov\",\"Status\":\"\",\"FrameRate\":0,\"Frames\":0,\"Sec\":0,\"FrameDelay\":0,\"Lossy\":0,\"Color\":0,\"Width\":0,\"Height\":0,\"ExtendedCompression\":0,\"Compression\":0,\"Results\":\"\"},{\"ContentID\":3,\"CustomerID\":1,\"Source\":\"c:\\\\uploader\\\\Leeza_M-cubed Designs\\\\Bike2.mov\",\"Status\":\"\",\"FrameRate\":0,\"Frames\":0,\"Sec\":0,\"FrameDelay\":0,\"Lossy\":0,\"Color\":0,\"Width\":0,\"Height\":0,\"ExtendedCompression\":0,\"Compression\":0,\"Results\":\"\"},{\"ContentID\":4,\"CustomerID\":1,\"Source\":\"c:\\\\uploader\\\\Leeza_M-cubed Designs\\\\Bike2.mov\",\"Status\":\"NEW\",\"FrameRate\":0,\"Frames\":0,\"Sec\":0,\"FrameDelay\":0,\"Lossy\":0,\"Color\":0,\"Width\":0,\"Height\":0,\"ExtendedCompression\":0,\"Compression\":0,\"Results\":\"\"},{\"ContentID\":5,\"CustomerID\":1,\"Source\":\"c:\\\\uploader\\\\Leeza_M-cubed Designs\\\\Bike2.mov\",\"Status\":\"NEW\",\"FrameRate\":0,\"Frames\":0,\"Sec\":0,\"FrameDelay\":0,\"Lossy\":0,\"Color\":0,\"Width\":0,\"Height\":0,\"ExtendedCompression\":0,\"Compression\":0,\"Results\":\"\"},{\"ContentID\":6,\"CustomerID\":1,\"Source\":\"c:\\\\uploader\\\\Leeza_M-cubed Designs\\\\Bike2.mov\",\"Status\":\"NEW\",\"FrameRate\":0,\"Frames\":0,\"Sec\":0,\"FrameDelay\":0,\"Lossy\":0,\"Color\":0,\"Width\":0,\"Height\":0,\"ExtendedCompression\":0,\"Compression\":0,\"Results\":\"\"},{\"ContentID\":7,\"CustomerID\":1,\"Source\":\"c:\\\\uploader\\\\Leeza_M-cubed Designs\\\\Bike2.mov\",\"Status\":\"NEW\",\"FrameRate\":0,\"Frames\":0,\"Sec\":0,\"FrameDelay\":0,\"Lossy\":0,\"Color\":0,\"Width\":0,\"Height\":0,\"ExtendedCompression\":0,\"Compression\":0,\"Results\":\"\"},{\"ContentID\":8,\"CustomerID\":1,\"Source\":\"c:\\\\uploader\\\\Leeza_M-cubed Designs\\\\Bike2.mov\",\"Status\":\"NEW\",\"FrameRate\":0,\"Frames\":0,\"Sec\":0,\"FrameDelay\":0,\"Lossy\":0,\"Color\":0,\"Width\":0,\"Height\":0,\"ExtendedCompression\":0,\"Compression\":0,\"Results\":\"\"},...[/code]

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 63,192Questions: 1Answers: 10,412 Site admin
    Have a look at the JSON returned by this example (using Firebug or similar): http://datatables.net/examples/data_sources/ajax.html .

Allan
  • netmannetman Posts: 15Questions: 0Answers: 0
    edited January 2011
    Try this way:

[code]
    $json_array = array("aaData" => array(
    array( "$cell_1","$cell_2", "$cell_3" , "$cell_4", etc ...),
    array( "$cell_1","$cell_2", "$cell_3" , "$cell_4", etc ...),
    etc ...
    )
    );
    json_encode($json_array);
    [/code]

Just put the values in your array/table, you don't need "ContentID\",\"CustomerID\",\"Source\",\"Status\":\"SUBMITTED\",\"FrameRate" ... in the data table. All these may be your table's Header i.e:
    [code]
    "aoColumns": [
    /* ContentID */ { "bSearchable": true, "bVisible": true },
    /*CustomerID*/ { "bSortable": true, "bSearchable": true, "bVisible": true },
    /* Source */ { "bSortable": true, "bSearchable": true, "bVisible": true },
    /* Status */ { "bSortable": true, "bSearchable": true, "bVisible": true },
    etc ...

[/code]

Regards
    Steve
  • mcubedmcubed Posts: 5Questions: 0Answers: 0
    THank you for the responses all but none of them really answered my question.

@Allan.... I have seen that soap already not sure what you expect me to see

@Netman... You are the closest but as I stated the JSON is being given to me by a a custom web service. I am not writting it so I have no control over what goes into what cell. (though you did give me an idea to try).

@Steve... I don't understand what you are saying at all.

THanx again all and if I sound grouchy it is because this was supossed to be done two days ago and I have not had coffee yet this morning,
    OK so here is a bit more...

Netman..

I played a little in PHP and modified my code to do this"

[code]
    $response = stream_get_contents($fp);
    $xml = simplexml_load_string($response);

$json_array = array("aaData" => array(json_decode($xml)));

echo json_encode($json_array);
    [/code]

here is the new json I am echoing out:

[code]
    {"aaData":[{"ReturnCode":1,"Results":"[{\"CustomerID\":1,\"Source\":\"C:\\\\TEMP\\\\Sample.mov\",\"ContentID\":1,\"Status\":\"SUBMITTED\",\"FrameRate\":0,\"Frames\":0,\"Sec\":0,\"FrameDelay\":0,\"Lossy\":0,\"Color\":0,\"Width\":0,\"Height\":0,\"ExtendedCompression\":0,\"Compression\":0,\"Results\":\"Updated on... 1\/4\/2011 7:13:42 PM
    [/code]

but I still get the same error
    edited January 2011
    OK ...

You need to ask your "xml provider" (You wrote: ...JSON is being given to me by a a custom web service) to
    give you a second xml, let's create for this a new variable: $response_clean with a new "file" named $fp_clean
    This one (the second xml file) should contain ONLY the "data" without "discriptions".
    Example:
    Let's take the first element: \"CustomerID\":1
    This is a "discription" (or Helper ... call it whatever you like): \"CustomerID\":
    This is the coresponding "data" part: 1
    Plus ... you don't need the: "ReturnCode":1,"Results"
    Instead of these you may ask your "provider" to send you (in the $fp_clean) only: "aaData".
    So, after all the above you may export the json "data" like that:

[code]
    $response_clean = stream_get_contents($fp_clean);
    $xml_clean = simplexml_load_string($response_clean);

$json_array = array(array(json_decode($xml_clean)));

echo json_encode($json_array);
    [/code]

Hope that helps.
    Steve
    Thanx for getting back to me but unfortuently asking my provider for a second XML is not an option... The output was decided on by people higher up than me. All I have is this output. I have to come up with a way to work with it as is.
    edited January 2011
    Nice !!!
    All you have to do ... is to "clean" the xml file by yourself.
    But this is strictly "php" not a DataTables issue ;-).
    Parse the xml file to a "new variable" (It will be an array) and then clean up the "unwanted" elements (The keys of the array maybe?) and finaly
    use this "new array - variable" as the input to json_encode.

Ciao
    Steve
    OK So I went back in to try and echo the xml that is being returned and it turns out there is non it is a straight json string.

Here is my modified PHP to print it out

[code]
    $response = stream_get_contents($fp);
    //$xml = simplexml_load_string($response);

echo $response;
    [/code]

and here is what I get:
    [code]
    {"ReturnCode":1,"Results":"[{\"ContentID\":601,\"CustomerID\":1,\"Source\":\"c:\\\\uploader\\\\Leeza_M-cubed Designs\\\\Bike2.mov\",\"Status\":\"NEW\",\"FrameRate\":12,\"Frames\":175,\"Sec\":14,\"FrameDelay\":1,\"Lossy\":10,\"Color\":256,\"Width\":512,\"Height\":384,\"ExtendedCompression\":0,\"Compression\":0,\"Results\":\"\"},{\"ContentID\":602,\"CustomerID\":1,\"Source\":\"c:\\\\uploader\\\\Leeza_M-cubed Designs\\\\cooking2.mov\",\"Status\":\"NEW\",\"FrameRate\":12,\"Frames\":97,\"Sec\":8,\"FrameDelay\":1,\"Lossy\":10,\"Color\":256,\"Width\":512,\"Height\":384,\"ExtendedCompression\":0,\"Compression\":0,\"Results\":\"\"},{\"ContentID\":603,\"CustomerID\":1,\"Source\":\"c:\\\\uploader\\\\Leeza_M-cubed Designs\\\\Bike2.mov\",\"Status\":\"NEW\",\"FrameRate\":12,\"Frames\":175,\"Sec\":14,\"FrameDelay\":1,\"Lossy\":10,\"Color\":256,\"Width\":512,\"Height\":384,\"ExtendedCompression\":0,\"Compression\":0,\"Results\":\"\"},{\"ContentID\":604,\"CustomerID\":1,\"Source\":\"c:\\\\uploader\\\\Leeza_M-cubed Designs\\\\cooking2.mov\",\"Status\":\"NEW\",\"FrameRate\":12,\"Frames\":97,\"Sec\":8,\"FrameDelay\":1,\"Lossy\":10,\"Color\":256,\"Width\":512,\"Height\":384,\"ExtendedCompression\":0,\"Compression\":0,\"Results\":\"\"},{\"ContentID\":605,\"CustomerID\":1,\"Source\":\"c:\\\\uploader\\\\Leeza_M-cubed Designs\\\\Bike2.mov\",\"Status\":\"NEW\",\"FrameRate\":12,\"Frames\":175,\"Sec\":14,\"FrameDelay\":1,\"Lossy\":10,\"Color\":256,\"Width\":512,\"Height\":384,\"ExtendedCompression\":0,\"Compression\":0,\"Results\":\"\"},{\"ContentID\":606,\"CustomerID\":1,\"Source\":\"c:\\\\uploader\\\\Leeza_M-cubed Designs\\\\cooking2.mov\",\"Status\":\"NEW\",\"FrameRate\":12,\"Frames\":97,\"Sec\":8,\"FrameDelay\":1,\"Lossy\":10,\"Color\":256,\"Width\":512,\"Height\":384,\"ExtendedCompression\":0,\"Compression\":0,\"Results\":\"\"}]","Message":"Success"}
    [/code]

I still do not understand how I take each element (":"[{\"ContentID\":601,\"CustomerID\":1,\"Source\":\"c:\\\\uploader\\\\Leeza_M-cubed Designs\\\\Bike2.mov\",\"Status\":\"NEW\",\"FrameRate\":12,\"Frames\":175,\"Sec\":14,\"FrameDelay\":1,\"Lossy\":10,\"Color\":256,\"Width\":512,\"Height\":384,\"ExtendedCompression\":0,\"Compression\":0,\"Results\":\"\"}) and parse it into an array... as I said I am kinda new to all of this.. maybe I am just over complicating it but I cannot seem to get it.
This discussion has been closed.