Datatables vs Excel

Datatables vs Excel

ngungongungo Posts: 64Questions: 23Answers: 2

I've been wondering why Datatables but not MS Excel. Lets say I am a convenient store owner. Should I used datatables or excel for my store inventory? And many other applications. Your insights will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• rf1234rf1234 Posts: 2,801Questions: 85Answers: 406

Well, if it is just for you and you don't have to share the data why would you want to build an application? If you only have to send the inventory to someone else once a month or so: Again no need for an application.
    But if you have many users looking at the data and updating them continuously: then it makes sense to build an application using Datatables or other components.

• ngungongungo Posts: 64Questions: 23Answers: 2

Well, you can share in Excel as well. It got to be some other reasons.

• tangerinetangerine Posts: 3,342Questions: 35Answers: 394

I think you mean "database vs. Excel". You should be looking at data storage, and the respective pros and cons of databases and Excel are best explained on sites specifically intended to deal with SME questions.

I mean "Datatables vs Excel" as a tool to solve problems, i.e. why should we use Datatables instead of Excel to solve the convenient store inventory, or employee records, or budget balance sheet, etc... I am sure they are both can be used for those applications. My wondering is why one is preffered over the other.

• tangerinetangerine Posts: 3,342Questions: 35Answers: 394

I wouldn't use DataTables if I needed a spreadsheet. I wouldn't use Excel if I needed a database.
    Comparing DataTables with Excel is meaningless. You should be looking at databases vs. Excel.

I don't get it. Why do you keep dictate me to what I wish to know? I want to compare between Datatables and Excel, and you persist in that I want to compare between databases and Excel. No, I don't need to know, for now, about databases vs Excel. :) I wish to know when and why one should use Datatables instead of Excel.

You may think my question is meaningless but please explain. :)

• F12MagicF12Magic Posts: 109Questions: 0Answers: 28

DataTables is there to visualize (and edit with the editor plugin) data stored in a database. As a option (with the buttons extension) you can export the datatable to excel format.
    With the excel export you could do things excel is intended for. Transform the data into charts, make other calculations, etc...
    Hope this helps you forward.

• allanallan Posts: 61,446Questions: 1Answers: 10,054 Site admin

DataTables and Excel serve different markets. The points above are all perfectly valid as to why you might want one rather than the other.

For example Excel is a desktop application that has full spreadsheet capabilities, including charting and complex formula options.

DataTables is a web-based Javascript library used for enhancing HTML tables.

There is some overlap in how they are visually presented (a grid of data), but fundamentally they do not compete in the same space in my opinion. You wouldn't even consider Excel if you wanted to build a web-page with an embedded table for example.

Lets say I am a convenient store owner. Should I used datatables or excel for my store inventory?

Frankly that entirely depends upon what you want. Do you want a web-based application? If so, don't use Excel! Are you comfortable and happy using Excel, and would it do what you need? Then use it!

There will never be a feature list comparison between DataTables and Excel. There can be no direct comparison between them and it would be meaningless to even try.

Allan

Thank you very much. I appreciate your insights.

This discussion has been closed.