Sorting European Dates

Sorting European Dates

rhoadesrerhoadesre Posts: 2Questions: 1Answers: 0
edited December 2016 in Free community support

I have been through the forums and tried everything, but I can't seem to get the formatting and sorting of European dates to work correctly.

I am using Wordpress with the Divi theme and Tablepress plugins.

Optimally, I would like to use one table and format the dates differently depending on the locale.

I am using dates in the format "date.month.year" (dd.mm.yyyy). How does the raw data need to be formatted?

I have tried the following in the Page Editor:
<span>[table id=testtable datatables_locale="de_DE" /]</span>

Is there a way to set the locale globally or based on a parameter?

I have tried the following in the Table Editor JavaScript Function:
columnDefs: [{type: 'date-euro', targets: [1]}], order: [[ 1, 'asc' ]]
columnDefs: [{type: 'date', targets: [1]}], order: [[ 1, 'asc' ]]
columnDefs: [{type: 'date-de', targets: [1]}], order: [[ 1, 'asc' ]]
columnDefs: [{sType: 'date-euro', targets: [1]}], order: [[ 1, 'asc' ]]

I haven't figured out how to format the dates differently (e.g. dd.mm.yyyy, dd.mmm.yyyy, yyyy-mm-dd etc) using the same raw data.

Can you please help?

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,950Questions: 1Answers: 10,158 Site admin

DataTables' built in date formatting is basically ISO8601 only (e.g. yyyy-mm-dd). However, with the moment plug-in you can sort just about any format you can think of.

There is a detailed description in the blog here.

Allan

• rhoadesrerhoadesre Posts: 2Questions: 1Answers: 0

Sorry, but I'm not a programmer and I'm trying to implement this all in Wordpress. This means that I don't have access to the HTML and can't simply include Javascript Code etc.

In Wordpress, I'm able to add the following JavaScript Functions:
    order:[[1,'asc']],columnDefs:[{type:'date',targets:[1]}]

I also have the following Tag in the page:
    [table id=testtable datatables_locale="de_DE" responsive=collapse responsive_breakpoint=phone datatables_paginate=false datatables_filter=false hide_columns="1" /]

I've tried the following code in the JavaScript Function, but it doesn't work.
    order:[[1,'asc']],columnDefs:[{type:'datetime-moment',targets:[1]},{render: $.fn.dataTable.moment('L','de'),targets:[1]}]

Frankly, I'm not even sure where I would add the JavaScript files that would be needed (e.g. moment.js).

• allanallan Posts: 61,950Questions: 1Answers: 10,158 Site admin

I'm afraid I'm not either. I know next to nothing about working with WordPress. You'd need to ask in a WordPress specific forum about how to include extra JS files and JS commands.

type:'datetime-moment'

Remove that. The plug-in I linked to uses automatic type detection. Don't set the type at all as that would remove any automatic detection.

Use the moment plug-in before you initialise the DataTable, not inside it. Have a look at the example in the blog post to see how it should be done and then see if that can be replicated in WordPress.

Allan

This discussion has been closed.