How do I manually update DB after validation and before new values are read?

How do I manually update DB after validation and before new values are read?

kevan.watkinskevan.watkins Posts: 22Questions: 5Answers: 0
edited April 2017 in Editor

PreEdit event is now fired before validation
PostEdit event is fired after new values are read from DB

I have some fields that need to be updates through membership provider, etc and not directly by Editor.
So how do I update these only if server-side validation passes, and before the new values are read?

Do I need to alter the Values, already read from DB, to be returned to client in PostCreate?

Kind regards,
Kevan

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,697Questions: 1Answers: 10,102 Site admin
    edited April 2017

Hi Kevan,

This, I fear, is currently a missing feature. It is not something that Editor yet supports, but it is something that I am aware of.

Having said that, the preEdit event should happen after the validation, but it will happen before the row is written to the database. edit this is incorrect - see below

postEdit will happen after the row has been written to the database, but also after Editor has read the data back.

Adding an event in between the two is something I plan to introduce soon (might make it into 1.6.2 as I can see how useful it could be).

Any suggestions for a name for the event? writeEdit?

Allan

• kevan.watkinskevan.watkins Posts: 22Questions: 5Answers: 0

Hi Allan,
    writeEdit works for me.
    In the meantime I'll work around it by reading the fields from the DB and updating e.Data manually in PostEdit. Then clean that up when the new event is added.
    Or.. is there an easy way to trigger verification from within PreEdit?
    Both are hacks, but I need to demo this week.

I started with our most complicated table as a test. All working great, so we'll be buying two developer licenses in the next few days.
    Thanks for a great product and for the support
    kevan

• allanallan Posts: 61,697Questions: 1Answers: 10,102 Site admin
    Answer ✓

Hi Kevan,

My apologies. My statement that the preEdit should happen after the validation is completely wrong. It has to happen before the validation so that extra validators can be dynamically added if required!

The quickest hack I can think of to make this "work" is to use the PostEdit to update the database as you had planned, then on the client-side use ajax.reload() when Editor has updated the table:

editor.on( 'submitComplete', function () {
      table.ajax.reload();
    } );

There will be a small flash of the data missing the extra information from the PostEdit and you'll have the overhead of an extra Ajax request, but the advantage is that when I do add this feature you can just remove that little bit of Javascript and update the event name on the server-side to make it work properly.

Regards,
    Allan

This discussion has been closed.