Unable to activate inline editing for my DataTable Editor.

Unable to activate inline editing for my DataTable Editor.

boicenetboicenet Posts: 47Questions: 12Answers: 1

The attached code works well for displaying database information and allows the user to select a single field and use an Edit button to Update data. I'm trying to enable inline editing for just the "Billed" cell/field and am unable to do so. I used examples at the DataTables site for help, but am apparently missing something. I had to attach a text file which lists code from two files as I was unable to submit this post due to too many characters in the body of the question.

Anyone notice anything I'm missing?

Thank you.

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 20,302Questions: 26Answers: 4,769

My guess would be that you are invoking the listener before adding the class to the column:

$('#job_table').on( 'click', 'tbody td.editable', function (e) {
                    editor.inline( this );
                } );

var jobTable = $('#job_table').DataTable( {
    //              "iDisplayLength": 6,
                    "pageLength": 12,
                    dom: "Bfrtip",
                    ajax: "jobsBilled.php",
                    columns: [
                        { data: "jobs.job_number" },
                        { data: "jobs.billed", className: 'editable' },
                        { data: "jobs.job_name" },
                        { data: "jobs.due_date" },

You probably will need to move the event listener after the DT init. You might need to put it in initComplete to make sure its run after the class has been assigned. It seems this would work but I've always specified the columns that are enabled or disabled.

Kevin

• allanallan Posts: 61,716Questions: 1Answers: 10,108 Site admin
    Answer ✓

That shouldn't actually matter in this case since the tbody td.editable is part of the delegate target. As long as those elements exist when clicked and #job_table exists when that line is run it should work okay.

I actually don't see why that isn't working.

Are there any errors shown in the console with you click?

Allan

• boicenetboicenet Posts: 47Questions: 12Answers: 1

Kevin, thank you for your assistance and suggestions. I tried moving the event listener into initComplete, but still no luck. I suspect it's something else I'm overlooking.

• boicenetboicenet Posts: 47Questions: 12Answers: 1

I had a feeling it was something easy and overlooked by me. I forgot to change the name of the editor variable from editor to jobEditor. I copied & pasted code, but forgot to make my edits.

Thank you Kevin and Allan for your replies.

editor.inline( this );
                } );

Should actually be... I changed 'editor.inline( this );' TO 'jobEditor.inline( this );'

jobEditor.inline( this );
                } );

• allanallan Posts: 61,716Questions: 1Answers: 10,108 Site admin

Gah. Well found. Good to hear you've got it working now.

Allan

This discussion has been closed.