Editor Generator .NET

Editor Generator .NET

Alex1Alex1 Posts: 18Questions: 8Answers: 0

Hi

I am using the Editor Generator and have server type set to .NET as I want to learn .NET (I am using PHP at the moment).

I have answered the questions on the Generator page and set it up how I require and downloaded the package.

I have extracted the downloaded package to inetpub and added a new site in IIS Manager pointing to it.

What else is required to get it to work as when I visit the URL it doesn't show?

Thanks

Alex

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,697Questions: 1Answers: 10,102 Site admin

You are thinking like a PHP developer :smile:. .NET is a completely different beast.

After you unzip the .NET package created by Generator, double click the project file in the resulting directory's root to open Visual Studio with that project active. Then you will be able to modify the database connection info and hit the play button in VS.

Allan

• Alex1Alex1 Posts: 18Questions: 8Answers: 0

@allan Thanks. I will open that up in Visual Studio and edit the settings but assume that I will have the same problem as I don't even see anything displayed on the site (it doesn't complain about the database connection). I've installed all of the ASP/.NET roles on the server and added the site in IIS Manager. I just don't know what else I am missing.

Yup - that's just not how .NET works. Unlike PHP you can't typically just drop a project into the htdocs directory. For example, the .NET package needs to be compiled and Generator doesn't distribute the binaries!

Allan

• Alex1Alex1 Posts: 18Questions: 8Answers: 0

@allan Sorry if I am being stupid, are you saying that you cannot use Editor in .NET web application, only like a Windows desktop application?

You can use Editor in .NET. Indeed a .NET package is provided. I'm saying that unlike PHP you can't just run it as a script. You need to compile it.

Allan

This discussion has been closed.