Struggling with Editor Installation

Struggling with Editor Installation

constaacconstaac Posts: 13Questions: 1Answers: 0

Preface: I'm a novice web-developer!

I am working on a project for a course that uses a frontend template as a basis. The template comes with webpack and includes Jquery and Bootstrap from the get go.

I was able to get Datatables working via the npm installation guide, so I decided to take the leap and purchase a license for the editor. Since there is no npm install for the editor, I've been running into problems left and right. I have tried several combinations of options via the download page (https://datatables.net/download/index).

Prior to installing the editor, I was able to simply require datatable.net in my main javascript file and datatablize a simple table. Running javascript files via script tags is a little foreign to me, and I'm not sure how to go about the "require" step (if it's even necessary).

Further, using the given script tag throws a "jquery is undefined" error, which I assume has something to do with the script tag executing before webpack makes jquery available.

I am completely lost! Any help or direction to some reading would be much appreciated!

I can't wait to get this working!

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,740Questions: 1Answers: 10,111 Site admin

Running javascript files via script tags is a little foreign to me

Haha! Javascript has come a long way from when I started...!

You are right, unfortunately there is no Editor NPM package for the Javascript files as I haven't found a way to integrate that with the fact that it is commercially licensed software.

How are you currently configuring things to use DataTables? I ask because there are a number of ways of doing it - I presume something like this?:

var $ = require('jquery');
    require('datatables.net')( window, $ );

If so, then you can extend that pattern and include the Editor Javascript using:

require( './scripts/dataTables.editor.js' )( window, $ );

i.e. include the Editor Javascript from a local file - signified by the ./ to give the local path.

Regards,
    Allan

• constaacconstaac Posts: 13Questions: 1Answers: 0

Allan,

Thank you so much for your response! I reconfigured things as listed above, and the datatables are working. I added the line to require the editor, and it actually loaded! Any progress is good - I was seriously struggling with that.

Now I get 'Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property '_constructor' of undefined'
    When I load the page, although it alerts me that DT editor must be initialized as a new instance.

My Javascript file looks like this fiddle - https://jsfiddle.net/yxzqqh93/

Hi,

Does the browser show which line of code is giving that error?

Note that your require('datatables.net-bs') should be: require('datatables.net-bs')( window, $); - see this page.

Possibly that's what is causing the error...

Allan

edited June 2017

If I keep require('datatables.net-bs') as is but require('./dataTables.editor.js')(window, $) as such, I am back to the alert that says "Datatables editor must be initialized as a new instance" which seems to be a much better error

Hmmm, but it shouldn't be doing that since you are using new $.fn.dataTable.Editor(. If the new keyword wasn't there, then yes, that would be the correct error.

What happens if you do require the datatables.net-bs library the standard way?

Allan

What is the standard way?

Answer ✓

Using require('datatables.net-bs')( window, $);.

The datatables.net packages will return a function that you need to execute. You can optionally pass the window and jQuery objects to it - since you have them you might as well, but you do need to execute that function for it to do anything.

That package has a dependency on datatables.net (i.e. require('datatables.net')( window, $) which it should do itself.

Allan

Allan,

Though brute force, I've gotten the editor functioning! My issue now, is the edit and add buttons not opening a modal/popup. A form appears at the below the table, which edits, properly, but itsn't the typical window. Is there an event handler that I'm not taking into account?

Thanks!

• tangerinetangerine Posts: 3,350Questions: 37Answers: 394

Please show your code, or preferably a link to a test case showing the issue.
    https://datatables.net/forums/discussion/12899/post-test-cases-when-asking-for-help-please-read#latest

npm installed, datatables, buttons, and select

Something to do with the way lightbox is functioning I think.

Have you included Bootstrap's Javascript and the Editor / Bootstrap integration file (editor.bootstrap.js)?

Allan

What do you mean by Bootstrap's javascript?
    When I require editor.bootstrap.js like so:

require('datatables.net-bs')
    require('datatables.net-buttons')
    require('datatables.net-select')

require('./dataTables.editor.js')
    require('./editor.bootstrap.js')

I get:
    Uncaught Error: Cannot find module "datatables.net-editor"

The requires have been working without the appended (window, $) or () with the exception of this newly required editor.bootstrap.js

Those are all my requires in main.js

The last one being added per request

Thanks a lot for your help!

I have bootstrap-sass 3.3.7 installed via npm

I tried npm installing bootstrap and requiring it prior to these requires and the error thrown is unnafected

edited June 2017

Are you able to post a link to the page so I can check it out please?

It sounds like there is a component missing, but I'm not sure if it is JS, CSS or a combination.

Allan

This discussion has been closed.