Displaying foreign key name in place of id asp.net mvc

Displaying foreign key name in place of id asp.net mvc

slash_2184slash_2184 Posts: 2Questions: 1Answers: 0
edited August 2017 in Free community support

I am showing the data of table tbl_assignment in datatable. It has a column named assignment_author_id which is a foreign key to the table tbl_author and the property is author_id. Now I want to show the author_name in place of the author id in my datatable.
My code for the tbl_assignment datatable-

Answers

• rf1234rf1234 Posts: 2,808Questions: 85Answers: 406

just use { "data": "author_name"} instead of "assignment_author_id". That of course requires a join of those tables on the server side assuming you use an SQL database.

As you can see here https://editor.datatables.net/examples/advanced/joinLinkTable.html

->leftJoin( 'sites',     'sites.id',          '=', 'users.site' )

the join is on sites.id but of course you want to display the name of the site (e.g. "London") in the table not its id.

• rf1234rf1234 Posts: 2,808Questions: 85Answers: 406

In plain SQL this looks like this:

SELECT assignment_title, assignment_details, author_name, assignment_category, assignment_create_date
    FROM tbl_assignment
    LEFT JOIN tbl_author ON  assignment_author_id = author_id
    WHERE author_name IS NOT NULL

If you also have assignments that have no author and you also want to display those (with empty author name) remove the WHERE clause.

• slash_2184slash_2184 Posts: 2Questions: 1Answers: 0

I am using the datatable in ASP.NET MVC project. That's why there is a big confusion.

• allanallan Posts: 61,743Questions: 1Answers: 10,111 Site admin

This is the documentation for Editor's .NET join implementation.

The key is the left join as @rf1234 says - you just need to use the .NET syntax for it shown in the documentation, rather than the PHP syntax.

Allan

This discussion has been closed.