Multple AJAX requests - change ajax url on render

Multple AJAX requests - change ajax url on render

favdevfavdev Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0

Hi

I've just switched over our front end to use DataTables.js + scroller and I'm loving it so far.

Only one small problem with it that I can see:

In order to get different results on load, we are managing our searching in the front end.

e.g
example.com/sales/{offset}/{length}/?SortBy=Price&Age=6
example.com/sales/0/100/?SortBy=Price&Age=6

Is there a way to make scroller load the next set of data from a different ajax url?

So if I want to have the table render 100 records at a time and before rendering more records send another ajax request to:

example.com/sales/100/100/?SortBy=Price&Age=6

The ajax that the datatable requests currently loads in one large json as a workaround.

Thanks

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 63,259Questions: 1Answers: 10,421 Site admin

Hi,

I think what you'd have to do for this, since they are query string parameters, but part of the address, you'd need to use ajax as a function and then make your own Ajax call based on the information that DataTables is requesting.

There isn't a way for DataTables to embed its parameters into the address at the moment. Although I like that idea. Thanks for the suggestion!

Allan

• favdevfavdev Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0

No problems allan. My manager was pushing for this method and it seems like it could be a good investment for Datatables.

Referring to my own ajax call, what would be the event before loading new data on scroller load? What would be the information that Datatables requests?

Thanks!

You won't need to listen for an event if you use ajax as a function. It will be called automatically whenever DataTables needs more data.

Allan

• favdevfavdev Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0
    edited September 2017

At the moment it seems to make one big ajax call to get all 10000+ records and renders them at once, which is painfully slow.

Is there a way to deferRender these rows with a dynamic / non-fixed table height? So that I'm able to use a fixedHeader as well?

Yes, deferRender should help speed things up assuming you have paging enabled (or use Scroller if you need it to be a scrolling view).

However, if you don't want to load all of the records at the same time, serverSide is the way to do that.

Allan

This discussion has been closed.