DataTables as ES6 module

DataTables as ES6 module

kmcarterkmcarter Posts: 1Questions: 0Answers: 0

Hi there,

I've been using DataTables for years now, on a plethora of projects. I'm starting to move away from jQuery-dependent projects and toward native ES6 code. Desktop and mobile browser support for ES6 are at 96%+. Are there any plans to release a jQuery-free, native ES6 version of DataTables?

Replies

• jvretamerojvretamero Posts: 26Questions: 0Answers: 3

This seems like a complete rewrite of the DataTables. Not to mention the extensions, the plug-ins and even the internal extensions/plug-ins (I'm here) there in the wild.

• allanallan Posts: 62,241Questions: 1Answers: 10,210 Site admin

Using ES6 doesn't preclude using jQuery - we can use use ES6 functions and syntax while still using jQuery.

I think perhaps what you are looking for is a version of DataTables that doesn't depend on jQuery - that is possible in any version of Javascript.

My plan on this front is to start documenting all of the jQuery methods that DataTables uses so they can be abstracted out without an entire rewrite. The downside is that it will increase the size of DataTables to replace the jQuery functions since I'd just need to re-implement what jQuery already provides - which are already provide to be battle tested and ready for use in virtually all browsers. So for all that it might save a few KB on download, it won't save much and it will increase development time significantly.

Any other thoughts on this are welcome - I know that jQuery isn't very fashionable just now.

Allan

This discussion has been closed.