Demand Data Tables in Qlikview : Give users more Freedom

Demand Data Tables in Qlikview : Give users more Freedom

sarahjohn388sarahjohn388 Posts: 1Questions: 0Answers: 0

In this article we will learn how to give more freedom to business users, by allowing them to create their own data tables from predefined list of expressions and dimensions. Let’s start!

Our task in this example is to provide dashboard to HR where both dimensions and expressions can be defined by the user. We will do this by providing list of fields, which can be used as dimensions and list of formulas which will be used as expressions. In addition – we will then allow them to change data representation and add a way to save their creations for future usage. We will also add some predefined templates for most used scenarios.

First we will need some data. I’ve generated mine on http://www.generatedata.com/ and saved it into Excel:

Let’s load this data now and add one calculated dimension [Hire Year]:

Employees: LOAD *, Year([Hire Date]) as [Hire Year] ; LOAD ID, [First name], [Last Name], Phone, Email, Country, City, Department, Date#([Hire Date],'DD/MM/YYYY') as [Hire Date], [Personal Number], Gender FROM [Employees.xlsx] (ooxml, embedded labels, table is Worksheet);

Next we will need the list of Expressions and Dimensions, for HR to choose from:

`Dimensions:
LOAD * INLINE [
Dimensions
ID
First name
Last Name
Phone
Email
Country
City
Department
Hire Date
Personal Number

Expressions:
LOAD * INLINE [
Expressions
Headcount
Joiners YTD
];`

So we’ve got some employee data, list of expressions and dimensions. We can now make use of those and add them to report in Qlikview:

Let’s add “Straight Table” chart with all employee dimensions and two expressions:

1. #hc– to calculate headcount:

=count(ID)

1. #jty – for joiners in current year

=count({$<[Hire Year]={$(=Year(today(1)))}>}ID)

Final object will look like below:

Fine, but we wanted our users to create their own chart, only based on our dataset. Do not worry – we are getting there!

We will make use of “Dimensions” and “Expressions” List Boxes, combined with “Conditional” tick-box in Straight Table chart.

Idea here is to only show columns, which are matching selections in “Dimensions” List Box and use expressions chosen by user from “Expressions” List Box.

Let’s start with making #hc expression to activate on demand. Go to Chart Properties -> Expressions -> Select #hc expression -> Tick Conditional box -> Paste below code into field under the box:

GetSelectedCount(Expressions)>=1 AND concat(Expressions,',') like 'Headcount'
You should have something like this:

What does this do? Simply makes sure that expression is selected in “Expressions” List Box and that “Headcount” is one of those expressions.

We must follow same road for all dimensions as well. For example, ID will use below Statement for Enable Conditional:

GetSelectedCount(Dimensions)>=1 AND concat(Dimensions,',') like 'ID'

I hope this helps you!

Regards
Sarahjohn

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 62,315Questions: 1Answers: 10,225 Site admin

Hi Sarahjohn,

I'm not seeing how this relates to DataTables? Could you clarify that for me.

Allan

This discussion has been closed.