Help needed on Client Side Processing

Help needed on Client Side Processing

suhshasuhsha Posts: 2Questions: 1Answers: 0

I have a scenario where i would get 10,000 to 2,00,000 records from the server which takes around 2 minutes , I know that it is preferable to have** Server side** processing in this case. But for each search or pagination change i dont want the response to be like 2 minute gap for just a small event since the database query is an hierarchical one.

Will it be feasible if I use Client side processing in this case ?

Answers

• rduncecbrduncecb Posts: 125Questions: 2Answers: 28
    edited February 2018

Anything over 20k-50k rows (depending on complexity of the table) is going to tax the browser using client side processing and be slow to work with. With a potential for millions of rows I would say you need to use server side processing and to address the speed of the query / data fetch so it's suitable for server side.

• suhshasuhsha Posts: 2Questions: 1Answers: 0

But it wont be good if i have to wait for 2 minutes for just a sort operation right @rduncecb

• rduncecbrduncecb Posts: 125Questions: 2Answers: 28

No.

IMO it boils down to this:
    1. Client side won't work when you have a large number of rows. Even a 2 minute wait for the initial data load is a LONG time in the browser world. Client side will work up to a point (depending on the data size, table complexity etc.), then server side would be your only practical choice.
    2. Server side won't work for you because your query takes so long.

Therefore, IMHO, both cases require you to see what can be done to speed up your data access.

• allanallan Posts: 61,723Questions: 1Answers: 10,108 Site admin

I'm not clear on why it would take 2 minutes to get the data for server-side processing. Even in a table with millions of rows, an SQL server will be able to select 10 (or whatever) from the ordered and filtered table in a fraction of a second.

What is the query you are using to get the data for server-side processing?

Allan

This discussion has been closed.