cell nowrap isn't working

cell nowrap isn't working

acypheracypher Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0
edited April 2018 in Free community support

Documentation on cell styling at https://datatables.net/manual/styling/classes#Cell-classes says that "dt-nowrap" will prevent the text in a cell from wrapping. I am using

columnDefs: [
{
targets: 0,
className: "dt-nowrap",

but the text is still wrapping.

Here's what the table looks like:

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• colincolin Posts: 15,146Questions: 1Answers: 2,586

Hi @acypher ,

In this example here, you can see the first column has been assigned the dt-nowrap class, while the third hasn't, and they're behaving as expected.

Would you be able to provide a similar example that demonstrates the problem, please?

Cheers,

Colin

• allanallan Posts: 61,743Questions: 1Answers: 10,111 Site admin

It looks like you are using Bootstrap @acypher. The DataTables dt-* classes currently only work with the DataTables stylesheet. That's something we are going to alter in future.

Until then you'd need to add td.dt-nowrap { white-space: nowrap } into your CSS.

Allan

• acypheracypher Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0

Thanks for the responses -- I'm making progress.
    Adding the CSS does indeed make it not wrap, but then my width: "80%", gets ignored and I get very long, horizontally scrolling rows.
    Before:

After:

• allanallan Posts: 61,743Questions: 1Answers: 10,111 Site admin
    Answer ✓

but then my width: "80%", gets ignored and I get very long, horizontally scrolling rows.

Yup - that's because you've make it not wrap :).

If you only want no wrapping on certain cells, add a nowrap class to those cells (columns.className) and then update the CSS to match that.

Allan

• acypheracypher Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0

Thanks very much for the help!

• trendsictrendsic Posts: 7Questions: 2Answers: 1
    edited February 2020

The Bootstrap 4 way to do this would be className: "text-nowrap"

https://getbootstrap.com/docs/4.4/utilities/text/#text-wrapping-and-overflow

This discussion has been closed.