Best solution to avoid xss while using render to create dom element in a column

Best solution to avoid xss while using render to create dom element in a column

cmalnoecmalnoe Posts: 1Questions: 1Answers: 0
edited April 2018 in Free community support

Hello,

I realized i have xss in my datatable, while using column.render to generate an anchor with unsafe data input.

I want to generate an anchor in a cell, having a link name based on an unsafe data.
actually, my render function is :

render : function(data, type, row) {
                      return "<a href=\""+row.link+"\" title=\""+data+"\">"+data+"</a>";
          }

But as mentionned, data is unsafe, and can be "alert('xss');", so the previous function generate an xss.

I don't really know what is the best pratice as I really need to generate an anchor.

I thought first to create an anchor with jquery, and setting the title and name with the text() function, but then i don't know how to inject this dom element into the cell, because render function return a string :

var linkToRes= $(<a></a>);
            linkToRes.attr({ title : data });
            linkToRes.attr({ href: row.link});
            linkToRes.text(data);//prevent xss
            return linkToRes;//KO display [Object object]
          }

what i finally did is escape manually the data input befor generating the anchor (but i'm not sure it's a good practise):

return "<a href=\""+row.link+"\" title=\""+sanitize(data)+"\">"+sanitize(data)+"</a>";
          }

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,732Questions: 1Answers: 10,110 Site admin

return linkToRes.outerHTML; should do it.

This is a limitation of the render callback though in that it can't return DOM elements for display - that is something that will be addressed in future.

For now, try the outerHTML option, or encode the data part, stripping out or replacing any unsafe characters (e.g. <, > and &).

Allan

This discussion has been closed.