Column drag/drop/move/resize?

Column drag/drop/move/resize?

JonathansCorner.comJonathansCorner.com Posts: 5Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited May 2011 in General
Are there any plugins or solutions to allow a user to drag, drop, move, and/or resize column headers?

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 63,113Questions: 1Answers: 10,395 Site admin
    ColReorder allows drag and drop reordering of columns: http://datatables.net/extras/colreorder/ . There isn't currently a plug-in which allows columns to be resized - its on the to-do list :-)

Allan
  • JonathansCorner.comJonathansCorner.com Posts: 5Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Thank you!
  • GregPGregP Posts: 487Questions: 8Answers: 0
    edited May 2011
    Just throwing my comment in here to simultaneously earmark this thread for later, to bump it, and also to ask a question:

Is there anybody successfully using third-party jQuery (or vanilla JS) code for the resizing functionality? There are indeed a few threads in the forum already, but their examples linked to 404s and schtuff. I'm going to go back to the search results and dig a bit deeper and actually Google for the plugins mentioned, but if anyone has a live example and can attest to the stability of something they've already implemented, that would be awesome.

Greg
  • JonathansCorner.comJonathansCorner.com Posts: 5Questions: 0Answers: 0
    edited May 2011
    I'm using jqGrid for other things, including resizing.
  • GregPGregP Posts: 487Questions: 8Answers: 0
    Thanks, Jonathan(sCorner.com ;-) ). I had a look but I think it's a bit too heavy for my needs. Perhaps I'll lift the resizing out of it or write something from scratch.

Noticed in another thread that somebody was using jQuery UI's resizable in an interesting way: inserting spans into the th and then tying the span's resizing to the th element. Should work in theory, though I'm having a few troubles (conflict with the sort widget). I'm already using jQuery UI for overlay (made since since I'm using the jQuery UI theming functionality of DataTables) so it's not much added weight compared to what I'm already loading.

Cheers,
    Greg
This discussion has been closed.