error when adding scrolling - no method 'outerWidth'

error when adding scrolling - no method 'outerWidth'

jduffjduff Posts: 7Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited May 2011 in General
When add the the 3 scroll attributes to the dataTable I get the following error: "TypeError: Object # has no method 'outerWidth'". I'm using Chrome and DataTables 1.7.6 (same error with 1.8). Without the scrolling attributes the table and data display fine.

[code]
$('#dataDisplay').html('');
$('#dataDetailTable').dataTable({
"sScrollX": "100%",
"sScrollXInner": "110%",
"bScrollCollapse": true,
"aaData": jsonResult.jsonData.dataLines.detailData,
"aoColumns": jsonResult.jsonData.dataLines.columnData
});
[/code]

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 63,214Questions: 1Answers: 10,415 Site admin
    Can you link us to an example showing the error please?

Allan
  • jduffjduff Posts: 7Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Sorry, it is an iternal app. If it helps, the header and horizontal scroll bar do show up. The error must occur when trying to size the data rows? Again, the data displays fine when excluding the sScrollX, sScrollXInner & bScrollCollapse attributes.
    I can only guess that the number of columns in your aoColumns and your aaData sub-arrays don't match, as I've not encountered this particular issue before. Modifying this example do to scrolling seems to work okay: http://datatables.net/examples/data_sources/js_array.html . If it's not that, then I think I would need to see it in action - sorry.

Allan
    edited May 2011
    If it displays fine when removing the scrolling attributes then does that rule out the column size mismatch?

What does the javascript need "outerWidth" for? Looking through the Datatable javascript I see this in several places but don't have a good understanding of what it is doing.
    Yes - that would suggest that the table is okay, if with works that way. outerWidth is a jQuery function which is used to get the width + padding + border of an element (i.e. not just the width, but the total width of the element), so it quite useful for some of the calculations DataTables does.

I'm afraid that I would need to be able to reproduce the issue myself in order to be able to fix the issue, since i'm not sure what is causing it at the moment. If you are able to put together a small sample which shows the error, that would be very useful.

Allan
    I dug a little deeper and discovered that the error is occuring at line #5454 of jquery.dataTables.js (1.7.6). Here is the snippet:
    [code]
    /* When x-scrolling both ways, fix the table at it's current size, without adjusting */
    n.style.width = _fnStringToCss( $(n).outerWidth() );
    [/code]

The item in question ("n") is an HTMLTableElement and does not have an "outerWidth" function.

Thoughts?
    Looking even further, it appears that this property is only supported in Firefox, according to this page: http://wwwht.w3schools.com/jsref/prop_win_outerheight.asp - "The outerHeight and outerWidth properties only works in Firefox."

Really? Has anyone implemented scrolling in a non-Firefox browser?
    As I mentioned, $().outerWidth() is a jQuery function: http://api.jquery.com/outerWidth/ , so it is fine on all browsers (that Firefox have a native function is good for speed in Firefox). So the question is, why in the case above is $(n).outerWidth() claiming not to be a function. Could you add 'console.log(n)' just before that line and see what that element is?

Allan
    this is the "n" element in question:
    [code]

Starting Row
    REC_TYP
    FIRM_ID
    FUND_ID
    FUND_DESCRIPTION
    TA_TRANS_CODE
    CANCEL_IND
    FUND_PERCENTAGE
    GROSS TRANSACTION AMOUNT
    TA_TRANS_STATUS
    TRADE DATE
    POLICY_NUMBER
    PRODUCT_CODE
    REP NUMBER
    REP NAME
    ADDRESS_LINE
    CITY
    ZIP_CODE
    STATE
    PERCENT_SHARE
    DCA_IND

abcd
    abcd
    S
    O
    John Doe
    123 First Street
    Somewhere
    ZZ

[/code]
    Okay good - so it's a node. However, I completely don't understand why that would not work with the $().outerWidth() function - it should!

I'm really not sure what else I can suggest without being able to reproduce the problem. Checking you don't have any trailing commas in your aoColumns and aaData arrays I guess, and that all the columns are the right length (21 from your table above).

Allan
    Ok, after struggling with this a bit more I brought in another pair of eyes. Though I am including the jquery 1.5.2 library, this was being overriden by another plugin I was including which was 1.2.2. The functions in question do not exist in 1.2.2 hence the error. After removing the old jquery library, all is well. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.