Datatable dropdown box list instead of search text box

Datatable dropdown box list instead of search text box

haritharit Posts: 2Questions: 0Answers: 0

is it possible to change search text box. i want to select box instead of text box

Replies

• colincolin Posts: 15,208Questions: 1Answers: 2,592

Hi @harit ,

There's isn't one out of the box, so you'll need to create one. The dom can be used to remove the current search box, then you can create your own dropdown to initiate a search instead. This example here creates dropdown searches in the footer, but you could use that code as a template,

Cheers,

Colin

• haritharit Posts: 2Questions: 0Answers: 0

thanks for the replay colin

• Caspian deConwyCaspian deConwy Posts: 15Questions: 2Answers: 0

Hi,

I've used the code in the example above to create a dropdown for a date column. The column itself has a Y-m-d format but in the drop down I only want to have Y-m to filter for months.

If I just use the code as is, in the dropdown each individual date will appear.

Therefore I changed the code from

column.data().unique().sort().each(function(d, j) {
      select.append('<option value="' + d + '">' + d + '</option>');
    });

to

select.append('<option value="' + d.substr(0,7) + '">' + d.substr(0,7) + '</option>');
    });

This will cut the day from the date and I get the desired format but I will get for instance 10 times the value 2019-10 in the dropdown as initially there are 10 different days in the database.

To limit this to 1 appearance per month I changed the code as follows:

var last = ''; // save the last used date
      if(d.substr(0,7) != last) { // check if current date is same as last used date
        select.append('<option value="' + d.substr(0,7) + '">' + d.substr(0,7) + '</option>');
        last = d.substr(0,7); //update last used date
      }
    });

Is this the best way to do this or is there a better solution?

Thank you.
    Caspian

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 20,614Questions: 26Answers: 4,828

@Caspian deConwy You certainly do need to keep track of the dates you've placed in the select list when doing something like this. Your code looks good.

Kevin

• Caspian deConwyCaspian deConwy Posts: 15Questions: 2Answers: 0

This discussion has been closed.