<th><i class="fas fa-hashtag dt_icon_header"></i>&nbsp;Incident ID</th>
<th><i class="fas fa-calendar-alt dt_icon_header"></i>&nbsp;Date</th>
<th><i class="fas fa-calendar-check dt_icon_header"></i>&nbsp;Status</th>
<th>Assignee</th>
<th>Summary</th>
<th>Notes</th>
<th>Product</th>
</tr>

When I use the Copy or the CSV button my headers appear as in the output file or pasted into say notepad:
Assigned Group  Incident ID  Date  Status Assignee Summary Notes Product

However, when I use the CSV button and use the browser option to open the CSV file with an application (such as Excel) my headers appear as:
 Assigned Group  Incident ID  Date  Status Assignee Summary Notes Product

I get this is probably just an issue with the font reference and some odd substitution character. I can remove the icon inclusion and the problem goes away but would prefer to not have to do so for consistency as I have this implemented across all of my many tables but only a few will have the button extension available.

Is there a way to clean up / remove the "Â " character when the CSV option is chosen? Or remove the whole icon tag but not have it impact the DOM?

(note: I am intentionally not using the Excel or PDF option at this time due to other restrictions)

Thanks!

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• colincolin Posts: 15,236Questions: 1Answers: 2,598
    Answer ✓

Hi @glimpsed_chaos ,

This example here may help - it converts a checkbox to a letter on the export. That's not what you want, but the thing of interest is the orthogonal data - you could have different renderings in columns.render for the two buttons (Copy and CSV). Copy would just return the data, while CSV does that stripping.

Would that work?

Cheers,

Colin

• glimpsed_chaosglimpsed_chaos Posts: 138Questions: 29Answers: 4

Thanks for the quick reply Colin.

That might do it, I will see what I can work out from there.

• glimpsed_chaosglimpsed_chaos Posts: 138Questions: 29Answers: 4

Colin, I think that would be a fine solution for the checkbox vs Y/N or other row data manipulation needed.

However, I did manage to find a solution and it was looking deeper into the options, specifically "customize", which lead me to a Stack Overflow response.

buttons: [
            'copyHtml5',
            {
                extend: 'csvHtml5',
                title: 'Incidents Export',
                customize: function (csv) {
                    var csvRows = csv.split('\n');
                    csvRows[0] = csvRows[0].replace('" Assigned Group"', '"Assigned Group"');
                    csvRows[0] = csvRows[0].replace('" Incident ID"', '"Incident ID"');
                    csvRows[0] = csvRows[0].replace('" Date"', '"Date"');
                    csvRows[0] = csvRows[0].replace('" Status"', '"Status"');
                    return csvRows.join('\n');
                }
            }                       
        ],

Essentially, removing the space that would be between the Icon and column name.

Now the export to CSV and opening from within the browser as a download is all tidy with no unwanted characters or spaces.

Thanks for the help.

• colincolin Posts: 15,236Questions: 1Answers: 2,598

Ah sorry, you are right. I just noticed you said column headers - I was misread the thread to be 'column data', so yep, my solution would've been no good. Glad it's all up and running.

This discussion has been closed.