Using as an Attendee Register

Using as an Attendee Register

chuck808chuck808 Posts: 7Questions: 2Answers: 0

Hi Guys,

Sorry, noob alert. Running through the Pusher Real-time Tables got me wondering about a application for my sons sports club. They meet for practice twice a week and each time someone has to produce a paper form to take some information of the attendee's. The data we collect is:-

{First Name} {Last Name} {Member} {Kit Hire} {Cost}

The 'Cost' depends on member status and 'Kit Hire'

Would it be possible to generate a table with current date inserted as an identifier, add new attendee (if necessary, like the example in the link above), then save the current table and be able to retrieve that data at a later time.

I hope that makes sense. It would basically be like save the paper forms but obviously online.

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,667Questions: 1Answers: 10,096 Site admin

I don't think I've seen that article before, thanks for the link!

Yes, what you describe sounds absolutely possible. Although if I may, I'd suggest a slightly different approach for an online system since you can get more data out of it. Rather than having a simple single table of attendees and dates, have a single table for attendees. Then have another table for attendees on a specific date (or if you want to be a little more complex about it, which can be useful if you run multiple classes, have a class table and a join/link table between the classes and attendees).

Then whenever you have a new attendee, you can add them to the list of attendees.

When you want to mark someone as present for a specific class, you can select them from a dropdown list of attendees and enter the date (which could have a programmed default - so really all you are doing is selecting the attendee).

This example shows that sort of thing in practice (although for staff / location, rather than attendee / class).

The benefit of that approach is that you can then quickly query the database to see the attendance of one specific person. Or sum up the total cost for the session for each person, etc.

Allan

• chuck808chuck808 Posts: 7Questions: 2Answers: 0

Hi Alan,

Thank you for the detailed reply, very much appreciated. Multiple db tables sounds like the way to go.

I'll get started in the morning (UK), it looks as though there is a lot to take in so it should keep me quiet for a while :)

I'll get back to if or more likely, when I run into any problems.

Regards

Damien

• chuck808chuck808 Posts: 7Questions: 2Answers: 0

Not sure if I should post this here or have started a new thread, so please feel free to move it if I have got it wrong.

Almost there, I think :)

Both Members and Non-Members can turn up for a practice session, the only difference is that the Member will pay a £2 fee and the Non-Member £3.

When adding attendees I am using a drop-down for the selection of member status and I would like to know if it's possible to fill the fees field with the amount depending on the selection?

Thanks

• allanallan Posts: 61,667Questions: 1Answers: 10,096 Site admin

Yes - the dependent() method could be used for exactly that sort of thing.

Allan

This discussion has been closed.