colReorder clears data, causes warning

colReorder clears data, causes warning

hellbound41hellbound41 Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0
edited October 2018 in Free community support

i have the basic setup below. i've stripped out as much irrelevant code as possible. the data for the table is defined by a javascript array (generated by php). some of the columns have empty strings for data. when i try to reorder any column, I get the datatables warning:

DataTables warning: table id={id} - Requested unknown parameter '{undefined}' for row {row-index}, column{column-index}`

i acknowledge the message, and then data is cleared from some of the columns or reset to defaultContent value. i suspect the issue has something to do with the empty string fields, but i need to be able to support empty string data. i've tried various combinations of the render and defaultContent attributes without luck. columnDefs doesnt seem to apply any settings to these columns.

any help on preventing the warning and preventing data being cleared is much appreciated

$(document).ready(function(){
var dataSet = [["", "2", "test name", "", "", "", "2018-10-15 00:00:00", "fred", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "1", ""," ", ""],["", "0", "", "", "", "2018-10-15 00:00:00", "2018-10-15 00:00:00", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "0", "", "", "", "", "", "2018-10-15 00:00:00", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", "3", "3", ""," 1", "0"],];

var table = $('table').DataTable({
  data: dataSet,
        columns: [          

{ title: "Event Time",data: 6,orderable:false,},
            { title: "Rule Name", className: 'none',data: 2, },
            { title: "Rule Description",data: 4,className: 'none',},
            { title: "Path",data: 9,},
            { title: "AffectedObject",data: 11,},
            { title: "ActingObject",data: 7, },
            { title: "FileServerDomain",data: 9,},
            { title: "DeviceIPAddress",data: 14,defaultContent: "na"},
            { title: "AlertID",data: 32,className:'none',},
            { title: "Acknowledged",data: 34,},
            { title: "EmailSent",data: 35,},

],

colReorder: true,
    });
});

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• hellbound41hellbound41 Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0

heres a jsfiddle link: https://jsfiddle.net/erq3jfks/

• allanallan Posts: 61,438Questions: 1Answers: 10,049 Site admin
    Answer ✓

I fear you might have run into a limitation with ColReorder here. Selectively including data from an array source for rows is not something I think we've tested with ColReorder. I suspect that the reordering action will cause problems with that since it is attempting to move elements in the array and it doesn't have any information about those other elements that it haven't been told ot access.

I suspect you might need to switch to object based data for the rows here to allow this to work.

Allan

• colincolin Posts: 15,112Questions: 1Answers: 2,583

I guess another, possibly easier, option would be before passing data to DataTables, to restructure the array, removing unwanted columns and reordering them as they're to be displayed.

• hellbound41hellbound41 Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0

thanks allan... looks like i had no choice but to use a JSON object. that did the trick

This discussion has been closed.