Add/Modify ajax options after initialization

Add/Modify ajax options after initialization

KrisLamoteKrisLamote Posts: 2Questions: 1Answers: 0

Is there a way to dynamically set the ajax error and timeout **after **initialization?
I am initializing a number of datatable objects with some custom columns, but notably without ajax options, because I initially want to display an empty table.

eg.:

var table = domElement.DataTable({
    columns: [
        { data: 'name' },
        /* ...*/
        { data: 'office' }
    ]
});

Then at a later stage (based on user interaction), I want the datatable to load data:

table.ajax.url(dynamicUrl).load();

At this stage I ideally want to set not only the url but also an ajax.error function and ajax.timeout. If I initialize the table with these options this works perfectly, like so:

var table = domElement.DataTable({
    ajax: {
        url: dynamicUrl,
        error: function(result) {
            if (result.statusText && result.statusText === "timeout") {
                console.log('handle-timeout');
            }
        },
        timeout: 5000
    },
    columns: [
        { data: 'name' },
        /* ...*/
        { data: 'office' }
    ]
});

I know I can work around this by defining the ajax params during initialization and then ensuring that the initial 'dynamicUrl' just returns an empty data attribute. Would be nice if there's a way to avoid that..

Thanks in advance for any feedback

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,912Questions: 1Answers: 10,148 Site admin
    Answer ✓

Is there a way to dynamically set the ajax error and timeout **after **initialization?

No - sorry. You'd need to make the Ajax calls yourself and use rows.add() / rows().remove() if you wanted to do that.

Allan

• KrisLamoteKrisLamote Posts: 2Questions: 1Answers: 0

Thanks Allan - I was actually already wondering whether I should do something like rows().remove() in that context - good tip, I'll try that

This discussion has been closed.