Multi-Row Editing, Editor 1.7.3, Select 1.25

Multi-Row Editing, Editor 1.7.3, Select 1.25

rf1234rf1234 Posts: 2,806Questions: 85Answers: 406
edited December 2018 in DataTables 1.10

@allan,

I guess this is a highly technical question and only you could help me out with this.

I selected 33 records for multi-row editing today and noticed that it didn't really work. I entered the same values for all of the 33 records selected. And this is what happened:
Online 28 records were sent to the server. The 28th record even with incomplete data. The other 5 records weren't sent to the server at all.
I thought there might have been something wrong with that 28th record and selected 32 records excluding this one record. Same result: 28 records sent to the server. The 28th record (this time a different one) incomplete.

I selected 25 records including the two "problem" records from above: Everything worked fine!

I also noticed: When I selected 33 records only the 28 records that were sent to the server were still selected when I closed the Editor form. The other records were mysteriously deselected.

Is there a size limit for multi-row editing? Any idea what could cause this problem?

I'd be really grateful for some hints on what to do about this. Right now I limited selection to 20 records to avoid the problem.

Thanks for your help
Roland

This question has accepted answers - jump to:

Answers

• colincolin Posts: 15,142Questions: 1Answers: 2,586
    Answer ✓

Hi @rf1234 ,

I just tried this example here (you can select all records by clicking on first, then last page and shift click record to select all), and was able to modify the first name of all 57 records successfully.

Would you be able to link to your page, or create a test case?

Cheers,

Colin

• rf1234rf1234 Posts: 2,806Questions: 85Answers: 406

Hi Colin,
    I was afraid you were going to ask for this. A bit of work for me ... Will send login and all the details in a private message to you.
    Cheers,
    Roland

• colincolin Posts: 15,142Questions: 1Answers: 2,586
    Answer ✓

Hi @rf1234 ,

Try posting your table/editor initialisation code, that might give some clues before you go to too much lengths...

Cheers,

Colin

Everything is set up already; just writing the email to you. But I will send you the code as well.

Finally got help from Allan. It was a purely technical issue. I needed to change max_input_vars in PHP. Thanks again!

"Hi Roland,

PHP has a setting that will limit the number of HTTP variables that gets passed to it - it sounds a lot to me like you are hitting that limit. If you use phpinfofile and search formax-input-vars` that will tell you the limit (1000 on this server). Since you have a fair number of fields in your form you'll hit that sooner than if you just had a couple of fields.

The way to address this is with the max-input-vars option in your PHP runtime. Set it to something higher than you think it will need to be - 10k perhaps?

The other option is to submit a single parameter - the JSON encoded data from the form. Then process that on the server-side before giving it to the Editor process method.

Allan"

This discussion has been closed.