Individual Column Searching & Fixed Columns

Individual Column Searching & Fixed Columns

puffsterpuffster Posts: 61Questions: 22Answers: 0

I'm trying to use Individual Column Searching for the first column only, and wanting the drop down box to show up in the header.

https://datatables.net/examples/api/multi_filter_select.html

It works perfectly until I add the fixedColumns in:

fixedColumns: {
    leftColumns: 3
}

At this point I can still select a value from the dropdown box, it just doesn't do anything.

I've tried to put together this fiddle to show the issue, but after two hours I give up -- I can't get the headers to show as fixed or the drop down search box to show up. I'm hoping somebody with a little more experience can spot what I'm doing wrong in the fiddle? Or even better just know why fixedColumns is causing an issue?

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,722Questions: 1Answers: 10,108 Site admin

Yup - FixedColumns is a pain here because the "fixed" part is just a clone of the original table. If you were to hide the fixed elements, you'd just see the original table under it.

Calling fixedColumns().update() after you've created the element might help, but I'm not certain as I'm getting an error on your JSFiddle:

ttlStuds is not defined

I'm not sure what that variable is meant to be doing?

Allan

• puffsterpuffster Posts: 61Questions: 22Answers: 0

I knew the fixed columns was generating an overlay and was wondering if that could be the problem....I removed the footer portion out of the fiddle and it's working now -- and by working I mean you can now see that it's not working :)

• allanallan Posts: 61,722Questions: 1Answers: 10,108 Site admin

Thanks for that! @colin has also made this one: http://live.datatables.net/hixosasi/3/edit .

It would appear that the change event listener is not being included as part of the clone, even although this should mean that does.

I'll try to take a closer look into why that isn't working shortly.

Allan

This discussion has been closed.