How do I add an i element instead of div element?

How do I add an i element instead of div element?

countesscatcountesscat Posts: 21Questions: 7Answers: 0

I need to add a custom i element instead of div element. How do I achieve that? I followed the example here - https://datatables.net/examples/advanced_init/dom_toolbar.html but that adds a div element. I tried adding the i element inside the custom div but that does not work for me because I need to add :focus + i so when the parent div is selected to change the focus style of the i element, too. Been trying to select the i element inside the custom div with its parent to no avail. Suggestions welcome. My example is not publicly accessible, hence only the link to custom elements is provided but I need to know how to insert an i element. Thanks!

This question has accepted answers - jump to:

Answers

• colincolin Posts: 15,144Questions: 1Answers: 2,586
    Answer ✓

Hi @countesscat ,

If dom isn't working for you, try adding directly like this. If that's not what you're after, please modify that link to demonstrate what you're after,

Cheers,

Colin

• countesscatcountesscat Posts: 21Questions: 7Answers: 0

Thanks for your reply! I am after adding a font awesome icon i element below the search input element because I have a special focus rules of the input where the i glows with the border and the background of the i. And I need to apply this to DataTables. Thanks for your suggestion. That really did add it but somehow my css select does not work. It is like
    .parent.sub-parent input:focus + i
    I tried also placing it in a div and changing the focus but that did not help much. Link updated.

• colincolin Posts: 15,144Questions: 1Answers: 2,586
    Answer ✓

Hi @countesscat ,

We're happy to take a look, but as per the forum rules, please link to a test case - a test case that replicates the issue will ensure you'll get a quick and accurate response. Information on how to create a test case (if you aren't able to link to the page you are working on) is available here.

Cheers,

Colin

Odd. I added 3 css files form our app and a custom search, so that an example could be shown but I guess it did not save. I will try with prepend and append as you suggested. Regards!

edited April 2019

I got the problem. It is because the <label> tag. How do I remove the <label> but keep the <input> tag of the filter?

Solved by insetting into the label $('div.dataTables_filter label').append('my things go here.')

Thank you very much, colin! Appreciated!

This discussion has been closed.