Editing Large dataset (1,000,000 rows)

Editing Large dataset (1,000,000 rows)

hemalaithemalait Posts: 12Questions: 3Answers: 0

I have few questions regarding Data Tables performance. I found few answers but nothing specific to my requirement directly.

I have a requirement where I have to create a 10 column Data Table.
1. Users should have ability to select multiple rows (can even select all rows) and change a value of a particular column or multiple columns. I plan on implementing a select-all check-box functionality example https://jsfiddle.net/annoyingmouse/yxLrLr8o/ . For editing rows I found an example of this at https://editor.datatables.net/examples/simple/multiRow . I would enable edit button once check-box is selected and upon edit button click it would allow users to edit values of specific columns.

I have few questions regarding this implementation.
1. Which option should I go with client side processing or server side? I have never used Data Tables for such large data set that too for edits.
2. If I go with server side processing, will all rows get updated when select all option is selected?
3. Can I use pagination when using server side processing?

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• colincolin Posts: 15,142Questions: 1Answers: 2,586
    Answer ✓

Hi @hemalait ,

I would say you would definitely need to go with server-side processing for such a large dataset - I'd be surprised if a browser could deal with that much data solely on the client.

Regarding your questions:

1. SSP (see above)
    2. Multi-row editing is supported, but editing a million rows at once seems a curious thing to do. What's the use case for that?
    3. Yep, that's the main purpose for it - it only sends the information the client needs to display, keeping the client load down to a minmum,

Cheers,

Colin

• hemalaithemalait Posts: 12Questions: 3Answers: 0

@colin thanks for quick reply.

I need to create a dashboard which provide ability for "mass updates".

A use case would be something similar to what is mentioned below -

Consider a data table that displays employee data which has employee name, designation, salary, work location, work industry. Users can select all records and update work location of all employees to a different location (say Location X), similarly it should allow users to update all records to update work industry (say ecommerce).
    Ultimately when user hits submit button it will commit changes to Database.

This discussion has been closed.