preSubmit Docs are slightly misleading

preSubmit Docs are slightly misleading

rw152rw152 Posts: 56Questions: 15Answers: 1

Hi Alan,

I was just trying to implement the cancellable feature of the preSubmit function for the editor. For example, if an error is found, prevent submission to server and alert the user:

editor.on('preSubmit', function(e,mode,action){
                    var status = editor.field('statusID');
                    var modetype = editor.field('ModeTypeID');
                    if(!status.inst().getValue()){
                        status.error('Please select an approval status.');
                    }

if(!modetype.inst().getValue()){
                        modetype.error('Please select a mode type.');
                    }

if(this.inError()){
                        editor.error('Please see above errors.');
                        return false;
                    }else{
                        editor.error('');
                    }
                });

But noticed that despite the function preSubmit indeed returning false, the ajax call was not prevented and fired off anyway. I then had to wait for the round trip to complete before the client side would render these errors for the user. Of course I validate on the server side too, but it's nice to do some validation on bigger editor forms on the client side to give the appearance of a more responsive app.

I solved this issue by using initSubmit (same logic just copied into editor.on('initSubmit'... and that works fine, but it seems to contradict with the documentation which mentions preSubmit as cancellable:

Looking into the initSubmit documentation, however, I noticed you moved that return false (cancel submission) example from preSubmit to initSubmit and then someone else made a comment in there related to this:

Perhaps I'm missing something? Or does the documentation need an update?

Either way, loving your software. Cheers!

Replies

• rw152rw152 Posts: 56Questions: 15Answers: 1
    edited May 2019

Editor v 1.8.0 btw.

• colincolin Posts: 15,118Questions: 1Answers: 2,583

Hi @rw152 ,

I logged a bug yesterday that said the cancellation (returning false) in initSubmit was being ignored in Editor 1.9.0, so there's definitely been some regression (unit tests since added to ensure it'll be caught in the future). I'll check preSubmit next week - I suspect there may be a similar issue and will report back here with findings. The initSubmit fix is scheduled for 1.9.1 which should happen soon.

Cheers,

Colin

p.s. one comment worth making is that the boolean return false isn't cancelling, but the promise is, i.e.

editor.off('initSubmit').on('initSubmit', function() {
      return new Promise(function(resolve, reject) {
        resolve(false);
      });
    });

Hi @rw152 ,

I'm not seeing that problem with preSubmit - I modified this example to have this

editor.on('preSubmit', function() {return false});

and the ajax was never initiated, and the form remained open as expected. I tried with the edits, creates and deletes.

One thing I'm wondering is that this looks odd in your code (and the same for modetype):

if(!status.inst().getValue()){

I would've expected you to have something like status.get(). Are you getting console errors on that page which would cause the function to fail before returning false?

If none of this helps, would you be able to link to a page that demonstrates that issue, please?

Cheers,

Colin

• rw152rw152 Posts: 56Questions: 15Answers: 1
    edited May 2019

Hi Colin (@colin),

I just went to your example, https://editor.datatables.net/examples/simple/simple.html, and I definitely see network calls on create:

More proof:

However, I'm not seeing
    editor.on('preSubmit', function() {return false});
    in your code. I also get a response from the server which is why I see those errors (so they don't appear to be UI driven):

More concerning though - when you push a patch, will I need to go back and adjust my current solution for preInit where I return false there to get the desired behavior normally found with preSubmit?

Thanks!

Hi @rw152 ,

Yep, I think there's some misunderstanding there. That line, editor.on('preSubmit', function() {return false});, was added to my local modified version of that page to test it - the example as it stands will cause network traffic. In that modified version, as I said, it's working as expected.

Did you try the change that I suggested in my response above, and are you able to link to your page?

I checked preSubmit over the weekend and that's working as expected, so you won't need to change your code.

Cheers,

Colin

This discussion has been closed.