Problem (bug/configuration) with DataTables search() with first non-ascii character

Problem (bug/configuration) with DataTables search() with first non-ascii character

hajtohajto Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0
edited August 2019 in Free community support

Hello.
I have problem with searching in DataTables.
Configuration as in fiddle: http://jsfiddle.net/1oy82sm5/
If you look at list of Names in <tbody> first two have polish non-ascii character "ż": Tigeż Nixon (last letter of name) and Żarrett Winters (first letter of name).
Now when I put that letter "Ż" in search textbox it shows me only Tigeż Nixon but it should show me Żarrett Winters (because it should look for the first letter not last or middle letter in name). Is that a bug or can I configure it somehow to work as it should?
P.S: If you take a closer look, after typing "Ż" in search textbox, Żarrett Winters actually appears on a list for a very short amount of time (don't blink or you might miss it). After "Ż" (which you can copy/paste if you don't want to install polish language pack - works the same as when typed directly from keyboard) you might type following letters ("arrett") and with each letter typed result shows again for short time, then disappears.

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• sandysandy Posts: 913Questions: 0Answers: 236

Hi hajto,

If you convert the search string to a RegEx before you do your search then it works fine as shown here.

Hope that this helps,

Sandy

• hajtohajto Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0

Hi sandy, thank you for your reply.
    That's indeed the way I would like it to work, but I can't find which library actually provides that newRegex([string]) constructor?

• sandysandy Posts: 913Questions: 0Answers: 236
    Answer ✓

Hi hajto,

I've written my code slightly wrong! See updated example here, the operation is still the same. The documentation for this can be found on MDN.

Another way to approach the problem could be to use the plug-in that allows Diacritics to be neutralised. I've put together an example making use of this too incase it is more to your taste. This example makes use of some DataTables which is not yet present on the website but is equivalent to this plug-in code.

Hope this helps,

Sandy

• hajtohajto Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0
    edited August 2019

Thanks sandy. I did some more testing, and it turned out that it also works well when I just removed that '\b' + part and just left this.value as regExSearch.
    http://jsfiddle.net/yv3pndb1/
    Anyway, thanks again for the help and your time spent on solving this case.
    P.S: This solution, same as yours, gives me the option to search by middle part of names (like when typing 'ige' it shows 'Tigeż' which is a bit downside, but at the end of the day, I can live with that.

This discussion has been closed.