Issues with automatic sort causing problems

Issues with automatic sort causing problems

YoDavishYoDavish Posts: 123Questions: 46Answers: 3

I'm using key and autofill for the editor/data tables. We have multiple users working on the data tables. The issue I'm noticing is when the user is sorting our first column ("Assign To") for empty assigned to rows and tries to assign someone to it, trying to drag and click several rows won't work. It will assign to the first row and be automatically sorted. Is there a way to disable the automatic sort function, but trigger the sort only when the sort button is actually clicked?

You can see the problem on example editor as well:

https://editor.datatables.net/examples/extensions/excel.html

Steps to reproduce the issue:

1. sort the first column
  2. change the first row under name to say "Charles"
  3. try to drag and click this data over multiple "Name" rows it will only update that one row rather than the multiple rows selected.

Is there another way around this that I don't know of?

Answers

• colincolin Posts: 15,237Questions: 1Answers: 2,598

Hi @YoDavish ,

That problem has actually been fixed in the nightly releases - see this example here that's using them. We should be releasing those extensions in a week or two, but in the meantime, could you try the nightlies and see if they address your problem too.

Cheers,

Colin

• YoDavishYoDavish Posts: 123Questions: 46Answers: 3

Hello @colin,

It's still not working for me.

I've updated the link to represent the issue with the users, where usually the first row of columns are empty, but when you try to key in a value then drag and click it doesn't update those rows selected, they're still empty. Is there no other solution or workaround this at the moment?

Link below:

link

So the only workaround I found so far is first to sort (ASC) the first column, which results in showing the empty "Assign To" rows. Then, I have a "Note" column that is rarely used, if we click to sort this, it basically keeps the order the same. From here the user can then select an "assigned to user" and drag and click multiple rows. Hopefully, you guys can suggest a better solution than this.

Hi @YoDavish ,

I think we might be talking cross-purposes here. Could you give step by step instructions on how to reproduce your issue with that link you posted above, please.

Cheers,

Colin

edited August 2019

@colin

Sorry about that. I've updated the link

1. sort first column "User" asc so that the rows are empty under this column
    2. key in a user name under "User", for example "TEST" but do not hit enter or click out of the cell
    3. Click blue icon under "TEST" and drag and select the first 5 empty rows cells under "User" to use autofill to fill in these 5 rows.
    4. Only one user name is filled even though we selected 5, when we search under the filter box for "TEST" only one row is returned.

I think this is because the sort "ASC" under "User" triggers first before the autofill can occur thereby preventing us from using the autofill.

Perfect, thanks, that makes sense. and I can see it. We'll take a look and report back.

• allanallan Posts: 63,180Questions: 1Answers: 10,411 Site admin

Thanks for the example. I agree - that looks like an error related to the ordering being on that column. I don't have an immediate answer for you here I'm afraid, its something I'll need to look into so I've filed an internal bug (DD-1078).

Allan

This discussion has been closed.