"Ñ" or "ñ" does not appear in the table

"Ñ" or "ñ" does not appear in the table

felixsherwinlopezfelixsherwinlopez Posts: 2Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited July 2011 in Bug reports
i have this query in the column list, but it does not return anything.

if(middlename="",concat(if(LOCATE("Ñ" or "ñ", lastname) = 0, lastname, REPLACE(lastname, "Ñ", "Ñ")),", ",if(LOCATE("ñ", firstname) = 0, firstname, REPLACE(firstname, "ñ", "ñ"))),concat(if(LOCATE("Ñ", lastname) = 0, lastname, REPLACE(lastname, "Ñ", "Ñ")),", ",if(LOCATE("ñ", firstname) = 0, firstname, REPLACE(firstname, "ñ", "ñ"))," ",if(LOCATE("ñ", middlename) = 0, middlename, REPLACE(middlename, "ñ", "ñ")))) as FullName

so i simplfied it using only CONCAT(lastname, firstname) but if the lastname or the firstname has "Ñ" or "ñ", the concatenated name does not appear anymore.

Hope you could help me. Thank you.

Replies

• fbasfbas Posts: 1,094Questions: 4Answers: 0
    edited July 2011
    don't use OR in LOCATE. In fact, you don't need LOCATE (skip to the bottom if you just want the simple answer)

---------------

In testing this, the OR clause will return a 0 or a 1 and ' "Ñ" OR "ñ" ' is always true, so 1will be returned. but 1 is not found in the lastname, so you'll never reach that case.

[code]
    first_name | locate( 'ñ' or 'Ñ', first_name) | 'ñ' or 'Ñ'
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Sol | 0 | 1
    Mike | 0 | 1
    Charlene | 0 | 1
    Montaña | 0 | 1
    [/code]

LOCATE() is case insensitive, so you don't need the OR clause

[code]
    first_name | locate( 'Ñ', first_name)
    -------------------------------------------------
    Sol | 0
    Mike | 0
    Charlene | 0
    Montaña | 6
    [/code]

This is good in some ways, but it means trouble for your LOCATE routines, because capital Ñ will match even the lower case ñ values.

--------- conclusion --------------

The good news is that REPLACE is case sensitive, AND will gracefully work fine if the letter is not found. All you need is

[code]
    CONCAT (REPLACE(REPLACE(lastname, "ñ", "ñ"), "Ñ", "Ñ"), ... )as FullName
    [/code]
  • felixsherwinlopezfelixsherwinlopez Posts: 2Questions: 0Answers: 0
    IT WORKS! Thank you very much for your help fbas. :-)

Have a nice day.
  • rodrick26rodrick26 Posts: 5Questions: 0Answers: 0
    HI, i have a question.

Where I have to do this modification to convert "ñ" to "&ntilde" if I am using server-side processing with Oracle database?

Hope you could help me.
  • rodrick26rodrick26 Posts: 5Questions: 0Answers: 0
    [quote] Where I have to do this modification to convert "ñ" to "&ntilde" if I am using server-side processing with Oracle database?[/quote]

I resolve my own question.
    I just add "AL32UTF8" on the following part of code:

[code]$conn = oci_connect($gaSql['user'], $gaSql['password'], $connection_string), "AL32UTF8" );[/code]

In the code posted in http://datatables.net/development/server-side/php_oracle
  • allanallan Posts: 63,205Questions: 1Answers: 10,415 Site admin
    If you are using PHP, then this function might help: http://php.net/manual/en/function.htmlentities.php

Allan
This discussion has been closed.