Render function data doesn't return to database

Render function data doesn't return to database

cha59cha59 Posts: 87Questions: 23Answers: 0

Hi
I have two render functions in my columns. All the rest of the data from the columns returns to database after editing, but these two doesn't. I also wonder how datatable knows which column to use in the database since there is no indication of it from my render functions? Am I missing something?
First the code of a render function and then the corresponding php code:

(....)
        { data: "hold", render: "[, ].init" },//koden der kan vise flere hold
        { data: null,//TIMER: = faktor * fordelt
                render: function ( data, type, row ) {
                    var num = (row.budget.faktor * 
                    (intVal(row.budget.u31)+intVal(row.budget.u32)+intVal(row.budget.u33)
                    +intVal(row.budget.u34)+intVal(row.budget.u35)+intVal(row.budget.u36)
                    +intVal(row.budget.u37)+intVal(row.budget.u38)+intVal(row.budget.u39)
                    +intVal(row.budget.u40)+intVal(row.budget.u41)+intVal(row.budget.u42)
                    +intVal(row.budget.u43)+intVal(row.budget.u44)+intVal(row.budget.u45)
                    +intVal(row.budget.u46)+intVal(row.budget.u47)+intVal(row.budget.u48)
                    +intVal(row.budget.u49)+intVal(row.budget.u50)+intVal(row.budget.u51)
                    +intVal(row.budget.u52)+intVal(row.budget.u53)+intVal(row.budget.u1)
                    +intVal(row.budget.u2)+intVal(row.budget.u3)+intVal(row.budget.u4)
                    +intVal(row.budget.u5)+intVal(row.budget.u6)+intVal(row.budget.u7)
                    +intVal(row.budget.u8)+intVal(row.budget.u9)+intVal(row.budget.u10)
                    +intVal(row.budget.u11)+intVal(row.budget.u12)+intVal(row.budget.u13)
                    +intVal(row.budget.u14)+intVal(row.budget.u15)+intVal(row.budget.u16)
                    +intVal(row.budget.u17)+intVal(row.budget.u18)+intVal(row.budget.u19)
                    +intVal(row.budget.u20)+intVal(row.budget.u21)+intVal(row.budget.u22)
                    +intVal(row.budget.u23)+intVal(row.budget.u24)+intVal(row.budget.u25)
                    +intVal(row.budget.u26)+intVal(row.budget.u27)));
                    var n = num.toFixed(0);//reducerer num til n med 0 decimaler
                    return n
                    }
                },  
        { data: "budget.faktor"},
        { data: "budget.lektioner"}, 
(...)
Now in PHP:

)//lukker join  
    ->fields(//fields åbner igen
        Field::inst( 'budget.timer' ),//beregnet post....................................This is the one my render function should use.
        Field::inst( 'budget.faktor' )->setFormatter( Format::ifEmpty( null ) ),
        Field::inst( 'budget.lektioner' )->setFormatter( Format::ifEmpty( null ) ),
(....)

If anyone can lighten up my saturday, it will be most welcome.
Claus

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 20,264Questions: 26Answers: 4,764

I also wonder how datatable knows which column to use in the database since there is no indication of it from my render functions?

The fields you define in the Editor config are what will be sent to the server when editing a row.

What problem are you trying to solve?

Kevin

• cha59cha59 Posts: 87Questions: 23Answers: 0

Hi Kevin
    The result of the render function is shown correctly on my screen, but it isn't saved in my MySQL database. All other posts are.
    When you say Editor config what do you mean precisely? My understanding, which is not much, is that I use fields for designing what should be on the pop up editing. Should I have these computed post also, they must be not editable? Please explane it to me. I Would like to have a better understanding.
    best regards
    Claus

• tangerinetangerine Posts: 3,348Questions: 36Answers: 394

"Rendered" data is for display purposes only. It is not returned to the database.
    Editor config is where your Editor object is configured - in PHP in your case - and includes for example your Field::inst() definitions.
    To gain a better understanding I suggest you spend some time with the documentation.

edited January 2020

When you say Editor config what do you mean precisely?

The fields you define in the Javascript Editor config are the only fields Editor is concerned with.

Should I have these computed post also, they must be not editable?

Do you really want to save computed values to the DB? Typically this isn't the case as the values used for the computation can change.

Kevin

• cha59cha59 Posts: 87Questions: 23Answers: 0

Hi Kevin
    Got confused because i changed the aritmetics between my columns, so it seemed as though some of the redered functions had found their way back to the database. So I've learned it the hard way.
    Good old PHP did the trick. PHP computes the numbers and update the numbers in the database. Then DataTable's excellent filter functions can be used on the computed values. All is good.
    Best regards.
    Claus

Answer ✓

So I've learned it the hard way.

Happens to all of us :smile: Glad you got it worked out.

Kevin

This discussion has been closed.