What's the most (reasonable) amount of rows you've had in datatables client-side?

What's the most (reasonable) amount of rows you've had in datatables client-side?

responsivelabsresponsivelabs Posts: 31Questions: 8Answers: 0

I've been utilizing DataTables client side by processing a JSON file and rendering it via ajax into the table. My question is, what are the limitations when it comes to rows of data when using purely client-side? So far, I've tested with around 800,000 entries and once it was loaded it seemed very quick still. The uploading process seemed to slow down though somewhere in the code the more files I appended to the existing data.

Anyhow, is 800k getting to a point where I should start looking at a SSP solution? I definitely plan on moving to SSP, i'm just trying to gauge when I need to do this. And of course theres the added benefits of being able to save the JSON data for the end user under their own account. Thing is, I know this will be a big project so I'm trying to make do with what I've got for now if possible.

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 63,205Questions: 1Answers: 10,415 Site admin
    Answer ✓

Generally I say that at 50k records you should start to think about server-side processing. By 100k you should be using SSP.

There isn't a hard and fast rule though since the data can vary significantly between tables. Consider a table which has two columns with just an id and a short name (string) - it might take just 100 bytes per row. A complex table might need 5kb or more per row though. Start multiplying that up and you quickly hit bandwidth issues. On a slow connection 4Mb JSON download probably isn't acceptable! On a LAN though, it would be fine.

Also the computer running the browser will have an effect. If someone had a Pentium II for example, you wouldn't expect it to render a table nearly as quickly as a 9th gen i7!

So really it depends upon your data and the type of user you are targeting.

Allan

• responsivelabsresponsivelabs Posts: 31Questions: 8Answers: 0

Interesting - Based on what you're saying it looks like I'm already overdue on server-side processing. I will definitely consider this in the very near future as it seems that most users are plugging multiple JSON files which is increasing the amount of records viewed to around 30-60k on average.

Does deferred rendering have any significant affect when rendering a larger amount of records?

This discussion has been closed.