Why am I seeing a trial expiration notice on my page when I didn't use the proprietary code?

Why am I seeing a trial expiration notice on my page when I didn't use the proprietary code?

tlsninetlsnine Posts: 2Questions: 0Answers: 0

I used the online Datatables Editor generator and explicitly did NOT include the pay-for-play editor files when I downloaded the example. Meaning I opted out of using the proprietary code because I don't need the editing features as my database is very static.

From my understanding, the rest of the code is GPL'd and as such there should be no trial terms or payment required to continue using it.

Can someone please let me know how to get rid of the notice without destroying the work I've already done?
Can I just swap-out and/ore remove a few js files to clean things up?
Again, I'm not using any of the editor features in any capacity.

If not, maybe there's an issue with how Datatables is enforcing the GPL in this case, or of course maybe I missed a step along the way...

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Replies

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 21,141Questions: 26Answers: 4,918

I've never used the generator. Just tried it and deselected the Editor:

Opened the resulting HTML file and it still has the editor code:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css/editor.dataTables.min.css">
            <script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8" src="js/dataTables.editor.min.js"></script>

Not sure if this is expected behavior when using the Generator for Editor. But you should be able to remove those two lines from the HTML file. This should stop the expiration error.

Kevin

• tlsninetlsnine Posts: 2Questions: 0Answers: 0

Hi. Thanks for checking things out!

Removing these two lines does in fact halt the error, however nothing but my header and footer load now lol

I'm fairly sure there are some background shenanigans by the Datatables team for this use-case scenario; one where they're still maintaining the GPL, but kinda not really because other things will break if you don't pay to play. (so GPL by definition, not in spirit)

I have ONE very small, almost static project where I'd like to use Datatables because it's nice and clean and I'm not good with code, but I can't justify paying $119 USD to do so when I can hire a free-lancer to do it for me for a case or two of beer.

For my situation I would gladly pay the developer something, but again, $119 is far too much when I'm not using any of the "editor" features. (if anyone from the Datatables team is reading this and can offer me a deal, please hit me up privately)

If anyone else has a public suggestion I'd certainly appreciate it!!

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 21,141Questions: 26Answers: 4,918

I'm fairly sure there are some background shenanigans by the Datatables team for this use-case scenario; one where they're still maintaining the GPL, but kinda not really because other things will break if you don't pay to play. (so GPL by definition, not in spirit)

I doubt that since you can use the Download Builder to download the same code. Datatables and all the extensions are free to use. Editor is the only package you need to pay for.

Removing these two lines does in fact halt the error, however nothing but my header and footer load now

Do you get any other errors in your browser's console? You probably need to remove the Editor code from the generated table.xxx.js file. You will need the remove the Editor init code var editor = new $.fn.dataTable.Editor( { ... }); and the create, edit and remove buttons in the Datatables init code. If these are there they will generate Javascript errors causing the page to not completely load, like you describe.

Kevin

This discussion has been closed.