React hooks: unable to get handler functions to work for custom-generated buttons

React hooks: unable to get handler functions to work for custom-generated buttons

auris2018auris2018 Posts: 11Questions: 3Answers: 0

Sorry if this is too React-specific but maybe someone has seen this behavior before.

I am trying to shift my (datatables-heavy) website to React - I got everything to work so far, except the following.

I am adding custom buttons to last column of every datatables row (in below case, column 10) with the following columnDefs:

{
            "targets": [10],
            createdCell: (td, cellData, rowData, row, col) => {
                ReactDOM.render(
                        <button onClick={props.handleReportClick}></button>
                    , td);
                }
            }) 

The handler function (passed as props) is defined as follows:

const handleReportClick = (e) =>{
               e.stopPropagation();
               console.log(dataTable);
           };

[The dataTable is a state variable where I store my dataTable and every other function that I have logs out dataTable as a full object]

The button shows up fine and triggers the handler function but I get 'empty string' logged out, which means it is probably just logging out the initial state of the dataTable but not the current state. I tried using useRef which did not help.

(If I replace the onClick function to just string name of the handler function (like I used to in my framework-less site then it doesn't work at all)

Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• auris2018auris2018 Posts: 11Questions: 3Answers: 0
    edited May 2020
  • auris2018auris2018 Posts: 11Questions: 3Answers: 0
    edited May 2020

Actually, the above solution was still giving me (other) problems. I found that, instead of passing function reference to the button renderer as in my original post, I set a unique data-id on each button (prefix + row in my case) and then add a 'click' event listener for all clicks on page. When a button gets clicked, event listener triggers a function that extracts the button's data-id from which I extract the row number. I can then access the dataTable object data for that row. That way everything works fine.

• nevichablenevichable Posts: 1Questions: 0Answers: 0

@auris2018 I've just registered to tell you that your question and solution had saved my life!!!
    PS. Huge fan of DataTables