DT Editor-CSV import feature

DT Editor-CSV import feature

VinuraDVinuraD Posts: 23Questions: 5Answers: 0

Hi,

I saw that the action for importing data from CSV is 'create'. Can it be used for 'edit' as well? i.e:- for updating existing records.

Thanks

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 63,214Questions: 1Answers: 10,415 Site admin

Yes it could be - you'd need to identify a column (or columns) which will be used to detect which row should be updated (normally a primary key) and collect all of those before trigging multi-row editing and then updating the values as required.

Regards,
    Allan

• VinuraDVinuraD Posts: 23Questions: 5Answers: 0

Hi,

I tried updating an existing record in the table by importing a csv file which was having the same record with a new value for a field. But it creates a new record under the given details and the same primary key (although I will be handling that from the backend and DB). Could you please explain? Shouldn't the code be changed for editing/updating using file importing feature?

action: function () {
                        uploadEditor.create( {
                            title: 'CSV file import'
                        } );
                    }

The requirement is to update about 2000 existing entries using CSV import feature. Thanks

• colincolin Posts: 15,237Questions: 1Answers: 2,599
    Answer ✓

This thread here might help. I did something similar for a specific customer - the aim was to make a blog post demonstrating it, but being as it is, that slipped. Hopefully the code will get you going,

Colin

Hi Colin, it worked for my requirement with a few changes. Thanks. The new issue is that when I try to import a large number of records from CSV (say 15K) , I get a RESULT_CODE_HUNG error. (Checking on Chrome) Could there be a workaround for this or is this a limitation? Thanks

I suspect that would be a limitation. We tried something similar with CloudTables and found about 15-20k was about the limit there too.

Colin

Could you also tell is there a similar limitation when exporting that many records, If you're aware of? And, would this limitation depend on the size of a record as well? Also, is there a number of records that you might recommend to have (when importing ) without hitting this limitation (If you've come up from testing)? Thank you very much

Yep, there will be a limitation on the export. It will depend on the number of columns, as well as the number of records. I'm not sure what those numbers would be, it should be in excess of 5k I would've thought. We have an upcoming project, probably starting next year, that will remove this limitation, so keep your eyes peeled on the Blog posts.

Colin

This discussion has been closed.