How to select rows and sum a column with a button?

How to select rows and sum a column with a button?

Nick HopeNick Hope Posts: 48Questions: 12Answers: 1

Link to test case:
http://live.datatables.net/kilehemo/14/edit

Description of problem:
As seen in the above example, I know a) how to select/deselect rows and sum the total of one of their columns using a callback function, and I know b) how to select/deselect a "set" of rows using buttons.

How can I combine those so that I select a "set" of rows with a button and sum one one of their columns? In the example, when I select a set of rows, the total age remains at zero.

I need some code where I've commented out the 17th and 18th lines of my JavaScript that passes the row or the staffid to my sumRows function. I am inexperienced with JavaScript/jQuery, so part of the problem is that I don't know how to pass a value into a function, where the function also has to process a (this) selector.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This question has accepted answers - jump to:

Answers

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 21,173Questions: 26Answers: 4,923
    Answer ✓

Thanks for the test case! You can use the sum() plugin to get the sum of a Datatables dataset. See this updated example:
    http://live.datatables.net/kilehemo/15/edit

Changes made to your example:

1. Added the sum() CDN
    2. Call sumRows() after the loop in your button
    3. Commented out your sum code and added the following line to sum selected rows:
        var sumAge = table.rows( {selected: true} ).data().pluck(3).sum();

First it retrieves the selected rows using the row-selector of {selected: true}. See this example. It uses rows().data() to get the data of the selected rows. The pluck() API returns just the column needed. pluck(3) is the Age column. The sum() plugin sums the resulting data set.

Kevin
    `

• Nick HopeNick Hope Posts: 48Questions: 12Answers: 1

Thank you very much @kthorngren

I found with your example that the effect of individual row clicks on the total was delayed by 1 click, so it wasn't working as expected. I have managed to get it working correctly by splitting it into 2 functions, as shown in this example. Obviously it's not as compact or as simple. Perhaps there's a simpler fix for your example?

Regarding pluck(), is there a property for that, or an alternative function, that will do the same thing, but target columns by a class on the th or td? My real project requires summing of multiple columns (individually), and their order may not always be the same.

Answer ✓

found with your example that the effect of individual row clicks on the total was delayed by 1 click, so it wasn't working as expected.

I didn't test for additional selections :smile:

With pluck() you can use array notation or if you are using objects, ie columns.data, you use the object key.

You can use cells() with a row-selector of the indexes of the selected rows and a cell-selector containing a classname assigned to the th. Update example:
    http://live.datatables.net/kilehemo/19/edit

Changed:

sumAge = table.rows( {selected: true} ).data().pluck(3).sum();

To:

var rowIndexes = table.rows( {selected: true} ).indexes();
        sumAge = table.cells( rowIndexes, '.col-age' ).data().sum();

And added the classname col-age to the th.

Kevin

• Nick HopeNick Hope Posts: 48Questions: 12Answers: 1

Great. Thanks Kevin :)

I found with your example that the effect of individual row clicks on the total was delayed by 1 click, so it wasn't working as expected

I understand now what you mean. I believe the row click event is happening before the selection process so you are inverting the ($(this).hasClass('selected') boolean.

Kevin

This discussion has been closed.