How to change button text when the button hides/displays columns?

How to change button text when the button hides/displays columns?

Nick HopeNick Hope Posts: 48Questions: 12Answers: 1

Link to test case:
http://live.datatables.net/capicamo/5/edit

Description of problem:
In the above example, I have 2 buttons that hide or display 2 columns each, depending on their th class, and a 3rd button that displays all columns.

How can I change the text in those buttons from "Hide..." to "Show...", depending on the visibility of the relevant columns? It can't be done just as a simple toggle-per-click because the "Show All" button is involved too.

I have tried hard with this but can't nail it. I think I should be using some code similar to the 2 lines I have commented out, but I don't know whether to implement that within a separate function, or as a function within the text: or action: section within the button definitions.

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• silkspinsilkspin Posts: 141Questions: 32Answers: 5
    Answer ✓

It can all be done in CSS. If you add new buttons in the future the code below would need to be changed because it works using the nth-child(). I've removed the "Hide" prefix from the columnToggle in your JS. Then I've added this CSS...

.dt-buttons button.dt-button.buttons-columnVisibility.active:nth-child(1) > span::before {
      content: "Hide ";
    }

.dt-buttons button.dt-button.buttons-columnVisibility:nth-child(1) > span::before {
      content: "Show ";
    }

.dt-buttons button.dt-button.buttons-columnVisibility.active:nth-child(2) > span::before {
      content: "Hide ";
    }

.dt-buttons button.dt-button.buttons-columnVisibility:nth-child(2) > span::before {
      content: "Show ";
    }

http://live.datatables.net/capicamo/6/edit

• Nick HopeNick Hope Posts: 48Questions: 12Answers: 1

Thank you very much @silkspin. I didn't think to do it just with css.

In my real application I have classes on the individual buttons so I was able to use a much shorter css selector for them.

This discussion has been closed.