What is more efficient for child rendering

What is more efficient for child rendering

yericusyericus Posts: 20Questions: 4Answers: 1

Hi,

I am curious what if there is a performance difference when rendering a child between defining multiple columns vs rendering 1 big element with orthogonal data.
This question would concern data displayed only in the child element, not in the visible columns.

Would there be any difference between :
- having multiple <th></th> rows defined in the thead along with multiple columnDefs,
- or using 1 <th> with classname: 'none' and render the child to display anything wanted using orthogonal data ?

Most obvious drawback of that would be the restriction in search parameters ?
Would there be any advantage to doing that over having multiple columns ?

I am more curious about the better practice of it.
Rendering the table once the data is loaded is fast enough as it is.

Thank you.

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 63,214Questions: 1Answers: 10,415 Site admin
    Answer ✓

The less columns the host table has, the faster the performance will be. However, as you say it is a trade off. If you want to be able to use (e.g.) SearchBuilder to filter on specific data, then that needs to be in a column of its own.

I doubt you would see much difference unless you are talking about a lot of columns.

Regards,
    Allan

• yericusyericus Posts: 20Questions: 4Answers: 1

Thanks.

Indeed the main thing slowing anything down for me is the distance between server in Europe and clients in Asia ... and even that, it's mostly loading the fancy stuff like font awesome icons etc before any optimization.

Rendering a table with less than a 1000 rows does not make any visible difference when i have 6 columns to show in child only.

This discussion has been closed.