An Initial bProcessing (Processing Indicator) for Server Side Processing

An Initial bProcessing (Processing Indicator) for Server Side Processing

oswikioswiki Posts: 9Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited September 2009 in General
Hi! This software is utterly fantastic. I can't believe how powerful and versatile it is.

I am using it to handle, among other things, presenting a 190,000+ row table. This is (naturally) accomplished via the server side processing method.

I was wondering if, purely for cosmetic reasons, it is possible to have the processing indicator (i.e., "Processing...") appear initially upon viewing the page, while the first page of data is being loaded from the server. This would keep things consistent with the rest of the user experience, when a call to the server is accompanied by the processing indicator. Since there's a delay of a second or two before the data set loads, this (I think) would give the user a sense that, yes, this is working.

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 61,716Questions: 1Answers: 10,108 Site admin
    Hi oswiki,

> presenting a 190,000+ row table. This is (naturally) accomplished via the server side processing method

Heh - you'd need some serious processing power otherwise ;-)

Very good catch with the "Processing" display issue on initial load - thanks for letting me know about this. It's a bug in DataTables... I'll have a fix in 1.5.3 which should be released in the next few days, but until then you can fix it by wrapping the call "_fnProcessingDisplay( oSettings, false );" on line 1841 with:

[code]
    if ( !oSettings.oFeatures.bServerSide )
    {
    _fnProcessingDisplay( oSettings, false );
    }
    [/code]
    DataTables was just getting a bit "excited" and disabling the display of the processing display a bit too quickly when server-side processing is enabled.

Regards,
    Allan
This discussion has been closed.