How can I set visibility of a column, depending of value in another column, in the same row?

How can I set visibility of a column, depending of value in another column, in the same row?

nc92nc92 Posts: 6Questions: 1Answers: 0
edited December 2020 in Free community support

I have a constructor, in Typescript, where a datatable is constructed, with values like 'orderable', 'data' and 'name'. My question is:

How can I set the visibility of one column, based on the value of another, in the same row? I tried with the 'render', which made it possible for me to edit the text. So if I edit the text, the best I can do is set it to an empty string(''), which is not what I want. What I want is to hide the column in that row, something achievable through 'visible: false', for example. Below is my example, with already existing code in the constructor:

data: 'ColumnData',
name: 'ColumnName',
orderable: false,
visibility: /*insert logic here*/,
render: (data: any, t: string, row: any, meta: DataTables.CellMetaSettings) => {
    switch (row['ColumnThatThisOneDependsOn']) {
        case 1:
            return ``;
        default:
            return `<div>${data}</div>`;
    }
}

What I wish I could do would be to change the visibility of column 'ColumnName'(to 'true' or 'false'), depending on the value of column 'ColumnThisOneDependsOn'. Any help would be really appreciated!

Answers

• colincolin Posts: 15,237Questions: 1Answers: 2,599
    edited December 2020

When you say change the column visibility, what does that mean? Do you mean make the entire column hidden, or just blank out the value for that particular cell in a specific row?

Colin

• nc92nc92 Posts: 6Questions: 1Answers: 0

@colin I mean the entire column(in this case when another column of the same row is of a specific value).

• colincolin Posts: 15,237Questions: 1Answers: 2,599

Got it. I'd suggest using a variable/array to keep track off whether you want to hide a column, and if so, in initComplete, call column().visible().

Colin

• nc92nc92 Posts: 6Questions: 1Answers: 0

I finally got it to work! I had to manually create a function in the html file that would set the visibility whenever the events 'init' and 'draw' would happen! Thanks for your help, nonetheless, @colin !

This discussion has been closed.