Can someone explain what the <'clear'> in "B<'clear'>lfrtip" does?

Can someone explain what the <'clear'> in "B<'clear'>lfrtip" does?

nick_psnick_ps Posts: 12Questions: 3Answers: 0

I have 3 standard buttons (New, Edit and Delete) and a custom button in an Editor instance, and the 'Show Entries' drop down was not showing.

A bit of hunting on the forums, and I found that dom: "B<'clear'>lfrtip" fixes the problem and the 'Show Entries' drop down is showing. :)

I assume that the custom buttons sit on top of the 'Show Entries' drop down to obscure the dropdown and the 'clear' is CSS?

Thanks,

Nick

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 63,214Questions: 1Answers: 10,415 Site admin
    Answer ✓

The dom documentation explains in detail, but basically each letter (aside from those in <>) is a feature in DataTables. l is the length menu, f the filter, etc. The order in that string tells DataTables what order you want them in the document. Plug-ins such as Buttons can extend the options - in this case by adding B for where to place the Buttons.

The <> part indicates that a div element should be inserted. That can be used for CSS, and the quoted string inside it is the class name to use - so it can be easily targeted in the CSS.

Another option to resolve what you wanted to do is to use the lengthMenu button, which would add it next to the Editor control buttons - see this FAQ.

The dom option is useful, but also has a serious learning curve. In the DataTables v2 work I've already done (work continues on it), I've replaced that option with a far more intuitive new layout option. So things are getting better :)

Allan

• galcottgalcott Posts: 53Questions: 15Answers: 1

Hi Allan,

Since you mention v2 in this post can you provide a possible timeframe for that update? Thanks.

Glenn

• nick_psnick_ps Posts: 12Questions: 3Answers: 0

Thanks for the explanation Allan. Very much appreciated.

• allanallan Posts: 63,214Questions: 1Answers: 10,415 Site admin

Since you mention v2 in this post can you provide a possible timeframe for that update?

When it is done... :). I don't have a specific goal for it I'm afraid - I'm hoping sometime this year - we already use it in CloudTables, but it isn't feature complete for what I want to release as DataTables v2 (i.e. the features that aren't in yet, aren't needed by CloudTables and the docs haven't been updated). The source is available if you want to try it, but I'd hang fire for a bit (due to the lack of docs).

Allan

This discussion has been closed.