Editor licensing and re-distribution

Editor licensing and re-distribution

PenfoldPenfold Posts: 4Questions: 1Answers: 0
edited May 2021 in Editor

Hello,

I have a small CRUD document management application which uses (the most excellent) DataTables Editor. It is intended to run on users local network hardware, typically a NAS such as Synology or similar.

I hope to distribute the application under MIT license, except for the DataTables Editor of course. My intention is that I am the only developer and users (effectively acting as IT personnel) install it on their own hardware. If end-users did decide to become developers and make custom changes they would then be required to purchase an Editor license. A legal statement along with the application would make that clear.

Is the above acceptable or am I going down the wrong track?

Regards,
Kevin

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• PenfoldPenfold Posts: 4Questions: 1Answers: 0

Me again,

To summarise my overly verbose question above - is it acceptable to distribute my licensed copy of Editor with an open-source application containing a statement that changing the application is only legally allowed if an Editor license is purchased by the would-be developer?

Thanks,
    Kevin

• allanallan Posts: 61,665Questions: 1Answers: 10,096 Site admin

Hi Kevin,

Its a good question. The view we've taken is that if a user is installing a bundle, which they themselves do have access to the source for (even if they don't actually modify the source) then they actually count as a developer (due to that action of installing the software). This is due to the fact that there would be nothing to stop them from modifying the software.

That said, I'd like to work with you to make this possible somehow! How about, what you had suggested, with the extra condition that the Editor software distributed is an obfuscated version (we can provide that)? It would basically just be like the trial's obfuscation but not time limited?

Allan

Hi Allan,

That would work fine for me, but I don't mean to 'twist your arm' into providing a solution just for me. Would this be something you would offer for other MIT licensed (or other OSI approved open licence) projects? I am some weeks away from publishing any code, so take your time to ponder it and I'll prod this thread again later.

Kevin

• allanallan Posts: 61,665Questions: 1Answers: 10,096 Site admin
    Answer ✓

Likely no to be honest. At least we haven't in the past. What makes me consider it in this case is that you specifically mention the Synology NAS and they use a package manager, so you'd be wrapping it up in an app for that I presume?

It is something we need to consider more. Obviously most of our work is open source, and we use a lot of open source ourselves. The revenue from Editor makes it possible to continue our open source work, so we need to find a balance between making available to such projects and also maintaining our ability to run our business.

Allan

Hi Allan,

Yes, Synology NAS app, at least initially. Totally understand the need to balance open and commercial work, it's tricky to get the right balance. Thanks for your input and I'll give it some thought.

Kevin

This discussion has been closed.