Prevent order event

Prevent order event

annafwannafw Posts: 16Questions: 4Answers: 0

Hello,

I tried to implement resizable columns following the approach given in https://datatables.net/forums/discussion/63231/resizing-columns-using-jquery-ui.
So far, so good - works fine. But somehow the order event of my columns is triggered when I resize them and keep the cursor in the original th. The example doesn't face this problem, maybe because I don't use the ScrollHeader?

I tried to cancel several events, but nothing seemed to work. Seems like mouseup.dt causes order. So I tried "table.off('mouseup.dt');", but that didn't work either.

Is there any possibility to prevent the order event from firing?

Regards

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 63,230Questions: 1Answers: 10,416 Site admin

It sounds to me like anything that does a draw is going to cause the columns to realign. You could disable ordering using the ordering option, but paging or filtering would likely still trigger this behaviour.

I'm afraid user column resizing just isn't supported in DataTables at this time.

Allan

• annafwannafw Posts: 16Questions: 4Answers: 0
    edited June 2021

Thanks for your answer, Allan.
    Maybe my question wasn't clear enough: Resizing of the columns works fine, they keep that size even on redraw. The resizing itself causes unexpected ordering.

Example: Table is ordered by column B. Now I resize header A and release the mouseclick while the cursor is over header A. This will cause ordering on column A.

I tried creating a working example here: http://live.datatables.net/pezupuqi/1/edit
    Not calling "loadDatatable()" in the resizable-stop-function seems to be the issue. Could you tell me whats the exact difference there?

Ok, I understand why reloading the table (with destroy=true) works in this case. Unfortunately I'm using AJAX data so its a bit ugly.

I would prefer stopping the click on this particular header instead of reloading the whole table. Do you have any idea how I could accomplish that?

edited June 2021

Nevermind, I finally found a working solution. In case anyone faces similar issues: Adding Eventlistener "click" to "th" in the capture phase and removing it after resizing stopped worked for me.

$('#' + tableName + '_wrapper thead th').resizable({

handles: "e",

alsoResize: '#' + tableName + '_wrapper table', //Not essential but makes the resizing smoother

start: function (e) {
                console.log('started resizing')

document.querySelectorAll('th').forEach(target => {
                    target.addEventListener("click", preventOrdering, true);
                })

},

stop: function (e) {
                console.log("Stopped resizing");
                saveColumnSettings(table, tableName);
                document.querySelectorAll('th').forEach(target => {
                    target.removeEventListener("click", preventOrdering, true);
                })
            }
        });

function preventOrdering(e) {
        console.log('click capture th');
        e.preventDefault();
        e.stopPropagation();
        e.stopImmediatePropagation();
    }

I'll try to update the fiddle later.

Updatet fiddle: http://live.datatables.net/cefarazo/1/edit
    "table.on('mouseup.dt', preventOrdering);" (and table.off('mouseup.dt', preventOrdering);) in start/stop was also necessary.