How can I make the body of the datatable scroll, but retain column searching?

How can I make the body of the datatable scroll, but retain column searching?

GaryBartlettGaryBartlett Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0

Link to test case: http://live.datatables.net/kibokupu/3/edit?html,css,js,output
Debugger code (debug.datatables.net): None
Error messages shown: None
Description of problem:
1. If you type a few letters into the search field above a column in the test case, the searching/filtering works perfectly.
2. If, however, you uncomment the 11th line in the test case (scrollY: "20vh",) the scrolling works fine but the filtering no longer works.

Any ideas on how to go about enabling table body scrolling on searchable columns?

Thanks very much.

I am loving DataTables, btw! (I've built a way more complex datatable than in the example - in my first crack at it - and have only this step to take).

Gary

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 21,182Questions: 26Answers: 4,925
    Answer ✓

You have FixedHeader enables in your example. You aren't loading the extension in the test case but the FixedHeader docs state this:

Please note that FixedHeader is not currently compatible with tables that have the scrolling features of DataTables enabled (scrollX / scrollY). Please refer to the compatibility table for full compatibility details.

See if this thread asking the same question about scrollX helps.

Kevin

• GaryBartlettGaryBartlett Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0

Thanks, Kevin!

If you're a js beginner or just as rusty as I am, here are the steps I took:

1. Add a class to the input boxes on their creation (p-column-search, in my case).
    $(this).html( '<input type="text" placeholder="Search '+title+'" class="p-column-search" />' );

replaces

$(this).html( '<input type="text" placeholder="Search '+title+'" />' );

1. Add the class you just added (p-column-search in my case) as the childSelector of the $(selector).on('keyup change', childSelector, function) event and modify the event selector (from #example thead input to table thead, in my case) accordingly.
    $("table thead").on( 'keyup change', ".p-column-search",function () {

replaces

$("#example thead input").on( 'keyup change', function () {

1. Smile smugly.
  • GaryBartlettGaryBartlett Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0
  • colincolin Posts: 15,237Questions: 1Answers: 2,599
    1. frown when realise link was forgotten!? ;)