Link to prefiltered datatable?

Link to prefiltered datatable?

Noodles12Noodles12 Posts: 110Questions: 40Answers: 2

Is it possible to link a user to a page containing a prefiltered DataTable. For instance, I might click a link about apples on site A, that would take me to SiteB containing a DataTable with apples, oranges, etc. Upon clicking the link, I would somehow pass in the word “apples” to the search box of the DataTable such that when I land on the page the table is already filtered on mortgage. Alternatively it might filter on one of the pulldown items in a certain column of the DataTable.

After research I used the following script on SiteB that has datatables, but it just initialises the datatbles page with prefilled search text apples. I am not sure what code goes on SiteA and what goes on SiteB to do what I need. I am new to development, so not sure how it works. Thanks.

<script>$(document).ready(function() {var table = $('#example_limited').DataTable( {responsive: true,paging: false,searching: true,lengthChange: false,bInfo: false,bSort: true,"search": {"search": "apples"}});});</script>

Replies

• Noodles12Noodles12 Posts: 110Questions: 40Answers: 2

I am fine with passing static URL as well. I do not need to make it as a variable. I am just not sure how to create a static URL for prefiltered datatable search results.

• colincolin Posts: 15,237Questions: 1Answers: 2,599

This blog post should help, it's demonstrating just that.

Colin

p.s. sorry about the need to post several times, the spam filter got a bit carried away!

Thanks Colin. Here is what I did. I am not a developer, so maybe I got everything wrong. This is what I did.

Page 1 where the link is (not the page with datatable):
    I added following code:

$('#example_limited').DataTable( $.fn.dataTable.ext.deepLink( [ 'search.search', 'order', 'displayStart' ] "search": { "search": "Fred" } } );

Page 2 where the datatable is I added following: I did not set the search option here as I do not want this page to have search parameter on initialisation. I want the parameter only when someone clicks the link on page 1.

<script>$(document).ready(function() {var table = $('#example_limited').DataTable( {responsive: true,paging: false,searching: true,lengthChange: false,bInfo: false,bSort: true
    });});</script>

I also included https://cdn.datatables.net/plug-ins/1.11.5/features/deepLink/dataTables.deepLink.min.js on both the pages.
    I do not see page 1 passing parameter. I am sure more needs to be done. Do I need to do something on the page1 link itself?

After doing some research, I was finally able to implement it by adding this javascript and updating the URL to abc.com?search=fred

<script>
    function getUrlVars() {
          var vars = [], hash;
          var hashes = window.location.href.slice(window.location.href.indexOf('?') + 1).split('&');
          for(var i = 0; i < hashes.length; i++)
          {
              hash = hashes[i].split('=');
              vars.push(hash[0]);
              vars[hash[0]] = hash[1];
          }
          return vars;
      } 
      $(document).ready(function() {
        var searchTerm = getUrlVars()['search'];
        var table = $('#example_limited').DataTable( {
          responsive: true,
          paging: false,
          searching: true,
          lengthChange: false,
          bInfo: false,
          bSort: true,
          search: {
            search: searchTerm
          }
       });
      });

</script>

Using the same javascript, is it possible for me search only on a specific column.

Example:
    abc.com?search=fred&Division=policy

Note:Division here denotes column name.

• colincolin Posts: 15,237Questions: 1Answers: 2,599

That's not supported out of the box, you'll need to add that functionality into the deelLink code if you need it,

Colin