Optimization on load

Optimization on load

AdamVAdamV Posts: 7Questions: 3Answers: 0

Hi :smile:

First of all thanks for a great plugin!

Reading through the documentation (and googling the forum), I was not able to find any information as regards "loading cost", when implementing the different feature-plugins available, such as_ pagination, sorting, searchpanes, filtering_ etc..

Given that some of these features are simply "Nice to have" but not a requirement by the client, I don't necessarily want to give up loading latency. Could you specify how each of the features scales with increasing rows - of cause assuming the plugins are related to latency?

Note: I'm aware that Datatables provides server-side processing, but as written, not all features are "need to have" at this moment.

Kind regards

Adam V

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,697Questions: 1Answers: 10,102 Site admin
    Answer ✓

Good point - an article on this topic might be a good one for me to write at some point.

SearchPanes adds extra processing to start up since it needs to bin the data, construct the panes and display them. It is probably the most costly plug-in.

Scrolling is likely the next most costly. It uses Javascript to align the columns for the header, body and footer and that requires the DOM widths to be read which is always slow. Particularly with large tables (keep paging enabled if you do enable scrolling).

Aside from that, I think everything else should have fairly low cost. Ajax loading with deferred rendering enabled and paging enabled is the most optimal since it has the lowest upfront cost).

Allan

• AdamVAdamV Posts: 7Questions: 3Answers: 0

Thanks for the quick answer!

A more in-depth article on this topic, would be very much appreciated!