searchPanesLast - what exactly is it doing?

searchPanesLast - what exactly is it doing?

robsimpsonrobsimpson Posts: 36Questions: 8Answers: 1

I've written a serverside backend (in Python/Flask), mainly for and I noticed something interesting with Cascading searchPanes.

If, for example here: https://datatables.net/extensions/searchpanes/examples/initialisation/cascadePanes.html, you select in the searchPanes Position="Sales Assistant", then Office="Sydney", you get displayed all the offices with a Sales Assistant, with Sydney selected. If you pick the "Sydney" then "Sales Assistant", you get the Positions with people in Sydney show. This works well.

I presume that the searchPanesLast attribute is responsible for this, but cannot find any documentation for this, other than the single statement "The last searchpane when dealing with cascade or viewTotal" here: https://editor.datatables.net/docs/2.0.7/net/api/DataTables.DtRequest.html

I am guessing that for the last searchPane, counts are generated with all conditions except the conditions imposed by that particular pane. Is that near the mark?

Thanks,

Rob

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 61,740Questions: 1Answers: 10,111 Site admin

Hi Rob,

You are right - this is our NodeJS code for that, with the query building it constructed here.

We do indeed need to document that - thanks for flagging that up!

Allan

• robsimpsonrobsimpson Posts: 36Questions: 8Answers: 1

Great, thanks. I've got my server code emulating that now.

It's kind of odd that you can't tell what the number in the panes mean just from looking at the screen, you have to know which ane was click last. Was this as a result of the decision to hide pane elements with a zero count?

Rob

• allanallan Posts: 61,740Questions: 1Answers: 10,111 Site admin

I suspect so, but honestly, I can't remember! Sandy wrote that code and he is unfortunately he has most on to another position now. I need to dig through that code to get a better handle on it myself!

Allan