Copy & Pasting Rows from one table to another identical table (on a separate page)

Copy & Pasting Rows from one table to another identical table (on a separate page)

Jamie64Jamie64 Posts: 1Questions: 1Answers: 0
edited August 2022 in Free community support

I'm currently producing a CRUD, project management website for a joinery company I work for which will list enquiries and quotes, with the ability to produce quotes / invoices etc too.

I have a query regarding copying and pasting rows...

I understand it is possible to copy rows from datatables for pasting into excel or similar software, however I'm struggling to find out if there is any possibility to copy and paste multiple rows back into datatables (another identical table).

For example: (Personal example)

If we were to quote for a large piece of furniture, with glass, electrics, metalwork etc, it takes quite a bit of time to gather information, sizes and prices, and our item list can be quite extensive.

We may be asked to quote for the same unit at a later date, and so we would like to re-use the same information (or rows), from a previous quotation. Currently, I would need to re-insert all of the above information manually, which is highly time consuming when you spend the best part of the day producing quotes.

Our current year 2000 access & VBA database allows us to do this, granted, it is offline though which helps when storing the copied data I guess? But doesn't Google Sheets do this quite well too?

I'd really rather not have to produce a button to move the rows to another table unless absolutely neccessary

**Any idea's?? **

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 63,115Questions: 1Answers: 10,397 Site admin

Rather than a true copy + paste (i.e. ctrl-c ctrl-v) would a button to do it be acceptable?

If so, then use Select to select the rows you want to copy across, and then its API to get the data for this rows. With that you've got everything you need to copy the rows across using Editor or any other CRUD system.

If you need a true copy and paste, you could still use Select and put a copy event handler on the page, and also a paste event handler and do much the same thing. The only issue is that this would be global on the page, unless you find a way to mark each table as focused.

Allan